Register Register

Author Topic: Weapons Bays on Dropships  (Read 1042 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Weapons Bays on Dropships
« on: 28 March 2022, 15:37:31 »
I'm designing an older model dropship.  For 'because' reasons I'm putting in an AC bay filled with AC-2s.  Is there any reason to put in 10 ACs instead of 8?

... I ran the design in MML and 8 AC2s give 2 dmg (1.6 rnd up), 10 AC2s also gives 2 dmg (2.0=2.0). 

So could I save/redistribute some mass w/o using 10 ACs? or is there a good reason to keep 10?
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Weapons Bays on Dropships
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2022, 18:32:11 »
You're looking at capital-scale damage, which is only taken into account when attacking JumpShips, WarShips, Space Stations, and Castles Brian. You'll still want the two extra ACs if you want to do 20 damage to fighters, other droppers, etc, which all use standard-scale armor.

16 damage isn't a bad amount to do, but hitting 20, and at Long Range too, is just delicious. LRM bays would be more efficient for that, technically, but I assume the decision to use ACs plays into your theme more, which I respect.

For reference to those not aware, capital scale damage is standard scale damage times 10, rounding normally.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2022, 18:34:56 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2022, 19:01:21 »
ahhh, that makes sense.  back to the lab, pinky!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2022, 19:25:49 »
ahhh, that makes sense.  back to the lab, pinky!
Uh oh, back to the lab again!
Oh no! Back to the lab again!
We messed up, back to the lab again!
Not again! Back to the lab again!
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2022, 20:02:12 »
Only four times? Surely you underestimate my abilities ... at least dropships have less gear than warships.  To be fair, I might not attempt a warship w/o MML.

KS #1357