Register Register

Author Topic: What if? More realistic spaceship accelerations discussion.  (Read 292 times)

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
I was wondering how much more reasonable it would be if the Large craft speeds were not multiples of 0.5gs but rather fractions of 1g. So a 2/3 Warship can only accelerate at 0.3 gs rather than 1.5 gs, accelerations that are already incredible with modern physics and engineering and more probable with fusion torch-ships.

If course I would reduce the engine mass by half or down to a third for dropships. Quick math on a Union class dropship going at a safe speed of 1.0g (10) at a third of the normal 0.0065 engine multiplier in this system would make it only 10% heavier than the regular engine (780 instead of around 700) in order to allow access orbit.

It would certainly make pirate points incredibly valuable as that would be the speediest way for a warship to reach a planet. There would probably need to be adjustments made to the normal jump points to make them accessible in say 2-3 weeks instead of 1 for normal stars and allow a wider variety of space only craft.

Aerospace fighters would need some finagling to reach that speed and might choose payload and specialize in space combat rather than become atmo-capable.

How could FASA in its infancy have altered their fictional creation to 'feel' more real?

I'm interested in people's opinions.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
Re: What if? More realistic spaceship accelerations discussion.
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2021, 17:26:01 »
It would mess up dropships and aerospace fighters that need to push through the space/air interface

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2021, 19:22:53 »
Aerospace would have to be taken completely out of a hex system and utilize a more refined system.  Remember that for each of those 1/2g thrust points, that's a hex of movement.  Now, it's easy to cut it down in a pure miniature set up, but not so easy in the current base rule setup.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2021, 19:29:23 »
What I've proposed for a long time is cutting Strategic Thrust down to 1/10th its current values (with the same fuel consumption), but keeping Tactical Thrust right where it is (with its MUCH higher fuel consumption).  This only roughly triples transit times, which somewhat more heavily favors use of pirate points, but not too bad, in my opinion.  Safety would still dictate avoiding in-system pirate points, but there would probably be more of a standard "jump ring" than just "jump points" in well travelled systems.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2021, 08:45:43 »
Aerospace would have to be taken completely out of a hex system and utilize a more refined system.  Remember that for each of those 1/2g thrust points, that's a hex of movement.  Now, it's easy to cut it down in a pure miniature set up, but not so easy in the current base rule setup.

The other idea is to make each hex a smaller size.  Standard hexes in space are 18 km to allow for one minute of drifting from a half-G of thrust.  Using a quarter-G of thrust would make them ~9 km wide.  It would reduce the speeds needed for various Ballistic shots to travel their listed ranges though.

What I've proposed for a long time is cutting Strategic Thrust down to 1/10th its current values (with the same fuel consumption), but keeping Tactical Thrust right where it is (with its MUCH higher fuel consumption).  This only roughly triples transit times, which somewhat more heavily favors use of pirate points, but not too bad, in my opinion.  Safety would still dictate avoiding in-system pirate points, but there would probably be more of a standard "jump ring" than just "jump points" in well travelled systems.

Ships would definitely need bigger fuel tanks as a result, and Jumpships would need to pay careful attention to their fuel gauge.  Perhaps Station-keeping thrust could be reduced as well when at the Z/N jump points?  Dropping Station-keeping down to a hundredth or a thousandth of a G (while keeping the same 10* higher burn rate per G) would extend Jumpship fuel duration by 10 or 100*.  So as long as a Jumpship just parked itself at a Z/N Jump point, it would barely sip its onboard fuel.  But if that Jumpship wanted to move in-system for annual maintenance, it would need a Dropship alongside it with extra fuel and consumables for the crew (or plot an in-system jump to the Pirate Point).  If that was done, a Jumpship would be described as primarily a KF core with a fusion engine on it for maneuvering, with the leftover mass used to keep its crew alive

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2021, 12:40:49 »
The other idea is to make each hex a smaller size.  Standard hexes in space are 18 km to allow for one minute of drifting from a half-G of thrust.  Using a quarter-G of thrust would make them ~9 km wide.  It would reduce the speeds needed for various Ballistic shots to travel their listed ranges though.

You're coming at it backwards.  The size of the aerospace hex is based on the consideration of each Thrust Point = 1/2g thrust, and only the most obsessive really care how big that hex is in reality.  Also fuel tracking is based on that consideration of pushing that 1/2g as well.  You have to be able to reduce what a Thrust Point means on multiple levels in order to be able to make the in-game variance of a g besides half or all have any practical meaning.  In so doing, you really affect the mobility of units on the table from before to now.

For example, if you change it so you can do burns at 1/10 g (i.e. 0.1g), then each hex suddenly becomes 5 times smaller, and doing the exact same maneuver between systems will carry you 5 times farther.  And it would take 5 Thrust Points to execute a turn to keep it the same.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2021, 17:38:03 »
Station Keeping would be done at "Strategic" rates of fuel consumption.  I figure most JumpShip maintenance is done not far from a valid jump point of some flavor, so no need for a companion tanker, really.