Register Register

Author Topic: What Orbit for a Flattop?  (Read 446 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
What Orbit for a Flattop?
« on: 22 June 2021, 15:43:55 »
 :blank:

Your part of an invasion flotilla, and are responsible for its' carrier aviation: How for back What orbit do you set, and do you move this convoy to the Mule Flotilla, for fuel and munitions, or does it come to you, for the sake of your fighters' operational tempo?

Which facing do you give any of these DropShips, and would it be set different between spheroids and aerodynes?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of FrustrationSurprisingly Enlightening©Not Write: Post Good!
"I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."
- Winston ChurchillThus Yorinaga Kurita threw his daishō out of the cockpit of his Warhammer in disgust …

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
Re: What Orbit for a Flattop?
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2021, 16:09:03 »
I normally put my fighters in the cockpit facing the planet position (dorsal?) when waiting for deployment while writing fiction. This is principally to allow the pilot and their sensors to see anything threatening coming up from the planet. Of course they enter in the belly down position when they do deploy

For a flattop or small craft refueler I'd got with something like a Molniya or Tundra orbit meeting near the area of operation. You can launch fighters on approach saving the fuel and recover them on the way out. Then you put some distance between you and the surface to a supply ship in a higher orbit.

Cannonshop

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2021, 21:43:40 »
:blank:

Your part of an invasion flotilla, and are responsible for its' carrier aviation: How for back What orbit do you set, and do you move this convoy to the Mule Flotilla, for fuel and munitions, or does it come to you, for the sake of your fighters' operational tempo?

Which facing do you give any of these DropShips, and would it be set different between spheroids and aerodynes?

DO I have outright air-superiority? does the enemy have out-system naval assets and do I know about them?  How spread out is the resistance on the ground? do they have a reasonable chance of being reinforced?

There's a LOT of questions here that need to be answered unless your name is Caleb Davion.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-Samuel Adams

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2021, 23:18:09 »
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of FrustrationSurprisingly Enlightening©Not Write: Post Good!
- Winston ChurchillThus Yorinaga Kurita threw his daishō out of the cockpit of his Warhammer in disgust …

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2021, 20:23:55 »
Man; The more I look at those Mólniya orbits, the more I worry fighter recovery: I'm guessing no-one can practically interact with a carrier during that high-speed, low-orbit fly-by stage? :-\ Seems like you'd burn more fuel on matching V then on changing altitude.

It also suggests carriers in this orbit would best mount a big sensor array, to capitalize on the low passes.
Goose

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2021, 20:45:22 »
Fighter recovery is always a tricky thing but with the power of the Aerospace fighters they can reach a recovery point for partial refueling by small craft. The dropship can also adjust its burn to intercept them. Something that they probably would have to do anyway as the very nature of orbits means that they will not be right there when the Aerospace fighters run low on fuel.

A powerful sensor array should be standard on any space based support asset, the only reason its not is FASAnomics because they cost an incredible sum despite having less capabilities as a 21st century spy sat. It would allow the dropship to contribute unique capabilities to the ground command rather than sit idly for its Aerospace fighters to return.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2021, 08:57:26 »
Hi-Res Imagers are only 2.5 tons and 150,000 C-Bills... (TacOps, page 411 refers).

AlphaMirage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2021, 09:18:47 »
Hi-Res Imagers are only 2.5 tons and 150,000 C-Bills... (TacOps, page 411 refers).

I was thinking more of the NCSSes as those other ones are more Aerospace fighter tech but yeah I suppose satellite sensors work

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2021, 09:38:48 »
NCSSs are absolutely the most expensive sensors you can buy.  On a WarShip they're worth it.  Not so much on DropShips.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2021, 17:54:15 »
Conquering the Planet: Priceless …

:D
Goose