Register Register

Author Topic: Why cant Dropships pack capital weapons other than missiles  (Read 348 times)

casperionx

• Master Sergeant
Title says it all really? I mean they have enough tonnage to be able to fit the big boys, even the heat sinks if you do it right...so why cant we?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Why cant Dropships pack capital weapons other than missiles
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2022, 15:09:09 »
Title says it all really? I mean they have enough tonnage to be able to fit the big boys, even the heat sinks if you do it right...so why cant we?

do you know what you get when you don't have enough electricity to power a laser?  It doesn't make it 'slightly weaker' it means it doesn't lase at all.
and it means your batteries run out now, like in, right now, and it wasn't even a flashlight.

Guess what happens when you fire a full-charge 105mm howitzer off the back of an unmodified 19xx chevy pickup?  Answer: The pickup stops working for good.

are we seeing a pattern yet?

Missiles don't have appreciable recoil (Unlike cannons and gauss weapons), and don't require enormous amounts of energy generation (Unlike any useful scale of energy weapon,whether it's a laser, particle beam, or even electromagnetic accelerator/gauss weapon).

in terms of pure wattage, jumpship drives have enough to rearrange (briefly) the fundamental forces of the universe and open a hole in space-time, that means something with a jump core probably has the energy infrastructure to handle powering capital lasers.  They're also significantly better at resisting the forces generated by hurling masses (remember, for every action, an equal and opposite reaction.  Newton got that one right).

It's a basic mechanical problem.  A dropship can CARRY the things, it just can't power or survive USING them.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2022, 15:19:06 »
Don't forget, your game, your houserules.  Personally, while I'd love to see and design heavy gunships like that, the game wasn't designed for space fleet actions.  The SLDF and house fleets just were not that big.  Even with all the new info we have now,  it would be a huge retcon to have such ships exist in a meaningful way.  The subcap weapons and pocket warships introduced during the jihad era address this adequately i feel.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2022, 16:33:54 »
You can use subcaps which are quite efficient compared to capital weapons. I would say it's related to lacking the ability to effectively target such weapons. Additionally putting Dropships in capital weapon duels is likely to get them killed as they only run standard armor and structure.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2022, 17:21:33 »
Eh, if you're running canon armor loads on "WarShips", subcaps will do...

casperionx

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2022, 07:31:32 »
Eh, if you're running canon armor loads on "WarShips", subcaps will do...
Thats fair lol.

I mean I can understand the Gauss and naval ac's and ppcs, but the lasers probably could be.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2022, 22:59:45 »
I honestly do not think generated-power is a problem on anything being carried around by a BTU fusion-torch drive.

I do wonder about structural integrity of a ship weighing a fraction of the ones who normally do carry those weapons firing off multi-hundred tonne NACs and NGs, though.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2022, 23:06:16 »
I honestly do not think generated-power is a problem on anything being carried around by a BTU fusion-torch drive.

I do wonder about structural integrity of a ship weighing a fraction of the ones who normally do carry those weapons firing off multi-hundred tonne NACs and NGs, though.

Fusion torch SOUNDS powerful, I know.  But it's not bending the rules of physics over and giving them a going-through to punch holes in space-time.

The power scales aren't even remotely comparable, not to mention the structure of the system necessary to generate, handle, and guide that power.  by contrast, the Naval Laser is a bit like adding an extra bulb to your dash, but on a structure NOT designed to take physics and say "Nah, not today, we're going faster than light and tearing holes in reality to do it", it's a bit like trying to power an aircraft carrier's steam catapults with your mother's pressure cooker because "It produces pressurized steam".

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2022, 07:04:06 »
The SI issue is more down to canon ships being extremely short in that department for no apparent reason.

The power problem comes from the same place the original lack of a minimum weight for a fusion engine came from.  It took pointing out you could make a fusion powered support vehicle lighter than a military backpack to get that fixed.  FASA never really did the math.