Register Register

Author Topic: Converting a couple of Gundam Ships to Battletech  (Read 373 times)

deathzealotzero

• Corporal
  • Mecha Guru
Converting a couple of Gundam Ships to Battletech
« on: 13 September 2021, 00:07:15 »
Okay. This is a bit of a stretch but I saw a couple of other threads on this forum about converting other sci-fi properties ships to that of Battletech. Including one very interesting thread about the Daedalus Class from Macross/Robotech. So I figured I bring up a couple of Gundam ships that could more easily be converted into Battletech ships.

First up is the La Vie En Rose Dockship/Mobile Factory from Gundam 0083 and Zeta. It actually kind of screams of being some sort of jumpship/warship design. Leaning more towards a Primitive Jumpship Design like the old Aquilla Class and is basically not any sort of Dockship like it is in Gundam, since the Yardship concept isn't really introduced till the Star League. I am mostly seeing it as a mobile factory ship with a leaning towards supporting the construction of new colonies. Or even later converted to military purposes in the future. Another option I can see it find a sort of precursor to the later Yardship Concept since it doesn't have interior docking bays but a exterior docking arm or even a direct military tender like the fanon Antares Class from the Delranes Fighting Ships book.

So thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas about this?

Okay. Next up is the unnamed Supersonic Transport from Gundam Wing which is a good candidate for a lightweight Dropship/Dropshuttle design. If you do not know what this is then I shall mentioned that it is the craft used by Lieutenant Zechs in the opening episodes of the series and later used by Noin to help the Gundam Pilots. It is supposed to be only capable of carrying three to four mobile suits which are pretty much kneeling in the back of the craft. However, to make it work in Battletech it would have to be enlarged slightly and a better means to unload the ship would be needed. I was imagining as a fast short-range VTOL Capable Mech Lance Transport/Dropshuttle. It can drop its mechs either through the back hatch via some sort of airdrop or through bottom-mounted doors kind of like the Leopard Class I have seen a few times doing.

Again. Thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas?

« Last Edit: 13 September 2021, 00:09:04 by deathzealotzero »

DOC_Agren

• Captain
Re: Converting a couple of Gundam Ships to Battletech
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2021, 20:48:30 »
As for the new aerodyne dropship, what about looking at about 1720ton or "old school Leopard wgt" 4 mechs bays, 1 small craft bay in back (so u could carry a shuttle or fighter)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

deathzealotzero

• Corporal
  • Mecha Guru
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2021, 02:10:17 »
As for the new aerodyne dropship, what about looking at about 1720ton or "old school Leopard wgt" 4 mechs bays, 1 small craft bay in back (so u could carry a shuttle or fighter)
I honestly originally did not have it with a Lance of Full On Mech Bays but four pruned down storage bays. These bays do not have what Full Mech Bays have, the ability to repair a Mech, storage for spare parts and weapons, and other such things a mech bay needs. It does allow for a Mech to be clamped down for transport and then be released when needed. It was originally envisioned in my head that it wasn't a full-on dropship but a means for Mechs to be either transported around a planet or from a larger ship up in orbit. Yes. I was originally looking at this design and seeing it becoming the main Mech Mover for the Argo. The Argo would have two of these Transport capable of dropping eight mechs anywhere on the planet the Argo is currently orbiting. Each of these transports would be capable of docking with the two main MDCS Docking Ports. The rest of the Mechs onboard the Argo could either be carried in a second flight for the two transports or can be used in an orbital drop via a large bottom mounted Orbital Drop Bay on the Argo.

That said, I could see this SST being basically a Light version of the Leopard Class (i.e. A Poor Man's Leopard), sporting only a handful of defensive weapons, (a Three Large Laser Turret, a supporting double Medium Laser Turret, and a pair of Machine Guns mounted in the Wings), no cargo-carrying capcity (Scoff!), no capability to carry Aerospace Fighters, lightly armored, and sporting only enough fuel for orbital operations.

Give me a minute. I think I did a quick and dirty TRO of this idea a couple of weeks ago...
Code: [Select]
Count Class Orbital Dropship
Type: Military Aerodyne
Mass: 1,100 tons
Use: Orbital Mech Transport
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Introduced: 3000
Mass: 1,100
Battle Value: 1,618
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-E-D-D
Cost: 85,985,928 C-bills

Dimensions
    Length: 40.25 Meters
    Width: 36.23 Meters
    Height: 22.22 Meters

Fuel: 149.5 tons (8,970)
Safe Thrust: 3
Maximum Thrust: 5
Heat Sinks: 19
Structural Integrity: 6

Armor
    Nose: 136
    Sides: 114/114
    Aft: 92

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Mech (4)                5 Doors   

Ammunition:
    400 rounds of Machine Gun ammunition (2 tons)

Escape Pods: 0
Life Boats: 0
Crew:  5 officers, 2 gunners, 8 bay personnel

Notes: Mounts 27 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:                          Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat)                    Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV     ERV   Class       
Nose (30 Heat)
2 Medium Laser                30   3(34)   2(24)    0(0)    0(0)  Laser       
    3 Large Laser
RW/LW (0 Heat)
1 Machine Gun                  0    0(2)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  Point Defense
    Machine Gun Ammo (200 shots)

As a note, this Transport wouldn't have Quarters perhaps outside of some very small steerage quarters. Apparently, you cannot have a Dropship without supporting quarters in MML. It also wouldn't have as a large crew. Six Men in the Cockpit, a pilot, copilot, radio operator/sensor officer, and a commander/navigator plus a pair of gunners. Then a pair of Loadmasters in the Cargobay. So Eight Men Total is not the fifteen we see it having in this TRO. Also, I could have brought down the Fuel for this ship since it wouldn't be needed to run to a Jumppoint and back for it would be mainly needed for Orbital Work. So it would have been somewhere around a thousand tons with the ability to drop for mechs anywhere on a planet before returning to orbit and returning to pick up the Mechs.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2021, 10:28:33 »
I like the poor leopard cousin..  but u will need someone who better understands dropship design...  My last nand done one even Quickcell would not sell  :thumbsup:

followup thinking..  What about only 2 mech bays and then 300 ton cargo bay? 
« Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 22:26:37 by DOC_Agren »
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2021, 23:48:42 »
I think since all 4 mechs can launch 4 mech bays is the answer.  Cargo is much slower to unpack and deploy, so it works best for transporting the locust recon company for 240 tons after airdropping the DZ clearing 'real' lance, landing, and spending all day getting your FOB set up.

deathzealotzero

• Corporal
  • Mecha Guru
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2021, 05:20:35 »
I like the poor leopard cousin..  but u will need someone who better understands dropship design...  My last nand done one even Quickcell would not sell  :thumbsup:

followup thinking..  What about only 2 mech bays and then 300 ton cargo bay? 
Shrug. That could work, but I really think a full on Lance-sized Bay would be needed. But that is just me.

So no one is willing to look at the old La Vie En Rose?

Lagrange

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2021, 08:00:00 »
Shrug. That could work, but I really think a full on Lance-sized Bay would be needed. But that is just me.

Apparently, if the mechs are Light or Medium and have the 'compact' quirk, then you can fit 2 in a bay, so 2 bays transports a lance.

deathzealotzero

• Corporal
  • Mecha Guru
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2021, 06:02:10 »
Apparently, if the mechs are Light or Medium and have the 'compact' quirk, then you can fit 2 in a bay, so 2 bays transports a lance.
Perhaps. Still would want to get a full Lance Mech Bay in there somehow.

DOC_Agren

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2021, 13:10:27 »
So I look at and I see what maybe have been the primitive colony constructor/factory jumpship and now is being used as a yard/repair/recovery ship traveling system to system to see what they can salvage and bring home. 

deathzealotzero

• Corporal
  • Mecha Guru
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2021, 19:15:28 »
So I look at and I see what maybe have been the primitive colony constructor/factory jumpship and now is being used as a yard/repair/recovery ship traveling system to system to see what they can salvage and bring home.
That is what I also see in the La Vie En Rose. A mobile factory ship that was originally designed to build up a colony and with some modification can be used for other purposes like building military equipment including dropships.

Register