Register Register

Author Topic: I think i made the smallest possible mech carrier  (Read 2168 times)

DevianID

• Lieutenant
Re: I think i made the smallest possible mech carrier
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2022, 06:27:24 »
I always liked the 100t cargo version.  Mechs already have orbital insertion pods for hot drops--landing a small craft under enemy fire to walk a mech off is crazy dangerous so the military usage is minor for a 2/3 with 150 ton mech cubicle. (Compared to the orbital insertion pod)  A more rounded 100t 3/5 small craft spheroid though makes oodles of sense--its literally impossible to land a spheorid on open terrain and take off from your crater safely without a very elite crew.  A waiting small craft does not have these issues, so you can load an entire scout lance of 100 tons from your rendezvous out in the sticks safely--plis only 1 hex needed and you arnt as tall.

Phantom000

• Private
« Reply #31 on: 16 March 2022, 22:23:01 »
This is something I have wondered about. There are supposed to be 100 ton Aerospace fighters, which is heavier than most Battlemechs anyway, so why not built an ultralight 1 mech drop ship? They would not be used for large scale operations but if they would be great for something like a raid or a recon mission and there small size means they would be easier to replace than a full size dropship.

What are the rules for a mech clinging to the side of a dropship during flight?

Hey! if you want to save weight, forget the mechbay and the extra crew and just fit a battlemech size handle to the side of the ship and let the mech ride on the outside. You might not even need weapons, if you run into the enemy let the mech do the shooting for you.

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 16 March 2022, 22:59:58 »
What are the rules for a mech clinging to the side of a dropship during flight?
I would rule that the same as loading the mech as bulk cargo, thus you need to spend time getting the mech boxed up and secured; the mech would then need to be reactivated to get working.

Phantom000

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 19 April 2022, 20:27:36 »
I would rule that the same as loading the mech as bulk cargo, thus you need to spend time getting the mech boxed up and secured; the mech would then need to be reactivated to get working.

I don't know, that seems to take all the fun out of it.

(Or maybe I've been watching too much anime)