Register Register

Author Topic: Mini BSG Galactica. help requested  (Read 1949 times)

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
Mini BSG Galactica. help requested
« on: 30 May 2019, 11:56:29 »
Hello all,

Ok, first things first. I have no idea on how to design stuff in BT apart from swapping a weapon for another (mechs and vehicles seem to be made with LEGO blocks, so that is not a problem in the design platforms that we have). However, I want to redesign a *drumroll* jumpship. Yeah, starting small, eh? :P

Why? Because I want to have a Galactica-like vessel in my universe. Because I like it. Only that it will be a much smaller Galactica.

The whole idea is to have a transport for a mech complement that deploys in small craft instead of dropships. Something like an 8 mech + 2 infantry platoon + 2-6 ASF force. That is the same cargo capacity as a Union dropship. The mechs would be carried inside small craft (mark VII or similar), as would the infantry. Repair facilities aboard the ship would be minimal. Cargo capacity desirable, but not 100% vital.

So here are the parameters if anyone fancies helping me find a solution :)

1.   The miniature to be used will be a BSG Battlestar. Probably a Galactica model, but I am open to suggestions. Size does not need to correspond to that of BSG galactica at all, since she is massive (1.1 km aparently) and we are looking for a smaller ship.

2.   I will be using it in the Outworlds Wastes, so it should be old and not very powerful as a tool of war. That means that it *could* be a warship, but it needs to be small and be totally crap when it comes to attack ground targets. Using only non-capital weaponry should help here. However, it should be able to defend itself if attacked.

3.   The above is why I was considering a jumpship more than a dropship or a warship here. Something that jumps around, but is not that good as a tool of war.

4.   I would like a Lithium Fusion Battery to do 2 jumps in a row. Yeah, I know this marks it as a modern ship, but it is my universe ;)

5.   It will not be able to land in a planet.

6.   It is a carrier. Can carry minimum 2 ASF and 4 small craft. 4 ASF +6-8 small craft wpould be preferred.
So I am looking at something like an armed (and slightly larger) Explorer or Scout dropship.
Would that work?

There is the Quetzalcoatl in dropships and jumpships, so jumpship conversions are certainly possible in universe. Could an Explorer or Scout be modified to accomodate what I ask?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Mini BSG Galactica. help requested
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 17:37:09 »
Given your parameters, I think the Quetzalcoatl is a good template, though I'd start with a damaged Invader or Merchant instead.  That should give you plenty of room for the Small Craft and Fighter cubicles without making the cargo capacity too large...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 17:50:46 »
for miniatures, may i suggest taking a look at Ravenstar Shipyards? they produce resin miniatures for starship gaming that is BSG inspired. (he used to actually make BSG figures but decided to redo his whole line to original designs just inspired by BSG's aesthetics to try and grow his business without potential legal issues)
his "tinmen" line ought to have a ship or two that would suit.

and my suggestion would be to use the Vengeance class carrier as a base. it isn't FTL on its own, but it already has the BSG style elements in its fighter launch bays (which are in BSG like side pods in line with the direction of travel). and it carries 3 small craft bays and 40 fighter bays, which mean you can probably get the bay set up you need just by swapping types around.

just give it a Scout jumpship for getting around.. scout's have minimal jump signature, and should be able to do pirate points fairly easily. but they are a bit vulnerable.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2019, 01:23:41 »
Ok, great :) For changes, a small craft cubicle is 200 tons compared to the 150 tons of an ASF cubicle? I calculated that a docking collar is roughly 1500 tons, but to be sure

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2019, 03:53:27 »
Docking collars are 1,000 tons each.  You have Small Craft and ASF cubicle tonnages correct.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2019, 07:06:55 »
Dreadnought
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2019, 13:37:49 »
the big issue is that we don't have any canon small craft able to carry mechs. and given the way they are built, it would be tricky to design a custom one.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2019, 14:20:41 »
If you make a mech lay on it's back, a mark vii can carry one. I can see a mark vii being modified (redesigned) to work like a planetlifter, or having the mech on a roller platform that you unload after landing. When you want to lift off the mech just lays down in thebplatform again and it is cranked into the mark vii. Easy enough :) Rapid deployment? Not really, but it can be out and ready for action in 10 minutes easily

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2019, 19:01:33 »
the Mk.VII can only carry 31 tons (despite what the fluff claims).. so in theory while you might be able to fit a light mech in one, the odds aren't very good. especially since in the BT universe, a mech is substantially bulkier than most vee's.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2019, 08:06:49 »
You could always deploy Protomechs and Battle Armor from a small craft instead.  That is easily done and done well would be a solid attack force to contend with

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2019, 10:05:59 »
Didn't know that. Fortunately for me I tend to favour "rule of cool" over hard numbers, so if the official stays say that a 70 ton mech (removing some weapons) can fly in a mark 7, it is fine for me. If building rules do not allow it, it is a failure of the building rules, not the mark Vii :)

I might use some other SC now that you pointed it out, but using a SC to deploy mechs seems sensible in any case. I might go for some design that needs an airfield for example. Cheers
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 00:10:00 by Elmoth »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2019, 10:15:17 »
The Mark VII has been a pet rock of mine for a LONG time.  Tech Manual restored the ability of craft built as Fighters to carry cargo, but there hasn't been an aerospace TRO since then to bring the Mark VII back up to its original capabilities.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2019, 07:15:16 »
After perusing through the 3057(r) book, I think that either a modified Merchant/Invader or a very old and jury rigged Tracker would do the trick. these were used in the periphery, and are not *real* warships (more like patrol craft), so one that has had its naval weaponry scrapped for lack of replacements would do here. Thanks for the suggestions.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2019, 19:41:19 »
Could also use a primitive jumpship.  Would get you more cargo space at the expense of shorter jumps and lack of docking collars for modern dropships.  And you could plausibly have some old relics like that banging around the periphery still given that canonically jumpships and dropships appear to last for centuries.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Register