Register Register

Author Topic: Mule-transportable Prison station  (Read 512 times)

idea weenie

• Major
Mule-transportable Prison station
« on: 02 November 2022, 12:39:08 »
Violent offenders remaining too violent?  Concerned that once they get out of jail they will still cause trouble?

Try the Zero-G Prison station today.  By putting the violent offenders in a constant Zero-G environment you can take advantage of muscle and bone degradation in zero-G, so even after they are released from prison (or even back into General Population) they will not be as big of a concern for several months if not years.

Designed to have its 185-strong permanent crew protected in the armored bubble at the top of the station, along with a healthy dose of automation to ensure that prisoners can be tracked as the move around inside the facility, this prison design will serve your incarceration safety needs for years to come.  The extensive automation system helps keep track of the prisoners to see if various members are working together in excess of customizable settings.

Standard assumption is that there will be 450 guards out of the 2700-possible population personnel, along with the 185-strong main staff, for a total of 635 people.  The 110 Life Pods are capable of carrying up to 660 people away from the station in case of disaster, so there is a capacity for up to 15 guests on board.  The prison is designed around prison blocks of 150 people, to allow for each Field Kitchen's capacity.  Prisoners are kept within their block of 150 people to reduce the communications capacity within the prison as a whole.  It also allows different segments to be changed to prisoner or guard habitation based on individual client needs.  For the blocks allocated to guards, they use the existing prison sizes but are designed to only handle up to 100 people, giving the guards a little more comfort than the prisoners.

The standard layout is the protected bubble at the top of the station, a grav deck encircling the bubble, three primary cargo bays to receive food supplies from an external source, a central spire serving as the station's spine, and six levels of 3-each arms housing either prisoners or guards.  The limit of 150 was chosen so that each location could have its own Field Kitchen, and if necessary could be sealed off to pre-emptively contain the prisoners in case of any issues.  Each of the locations has 45 tons of Life Support storage, to allow for up to 6 days of life support to a cut-off segment. 

To sustain the long-term staff there is a total of 66 tons of Life Support for their Quarters, enough to sustain 220 people for a total of 60 days.  The Infantry Bays housing the 2700 Guards and prisoners are fed from the 3 bays massing 1080 tons each, which ion addition to the small cargo bays in each arm provides 30 days of Life Support total.  Guards are usually changed out every 20 days, and are brought up with the replacement Life Support supplies.  Standard procedure is to remove the atmosphere from a Food bay before a supply shuttle docks, to remove the possibility of a prisoner trying to escape using that method. 

The two separate medical bays on board allow treating prisoners and guards in case of injuries, though the prisoner medical bay can only handle up to 10 at a time, while the guard medical bay can handle 5 at a time.  This allows faster recovery of injured long-term staff in case of issues.

The grav deck allows the guards to maintain their bone and muscle adjustments, while placing critical items on the grav deck ensure that the zero-G adapted prisoners have a far more difficult time trying to escape.

The station itself is modular, meaning we can build it at our primary factories and ship the components out to you instead of trying to build it on-site.  The whole station masses 8100 tons, meaning it can be shipped in a standard Mule cargo Dropship.

Support is achievable with a pair of Leopard Dropships every month, with each Leopard delivering just under 700 tons of cargo and being able to move the entire guard rotation.  By bringing in the new guards at the same time as the food supplies, this ensures that the number of guards is overstrength during the cargo transfer operations.

We anticipate that this prison design will satisfy your incarceration needs.

Code: [Select]
Prison Station
Type: Modular Space Station
Mass: 8,100 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Introduced: 2750
Battle Value: 294
Tech Rating/Availability: F/F-X-X-X
Cost: 2,945,464,000 C-bills

Fuel: 20 tons (200)
Safe Thrust: 0
Maximum Thrust: 0
Sail Integrity: N/A
Heat Sinks: 58
Structural Integrity: 1

Armor
    Nose: 16
    Fore Sides: 0/0
    Aft Sides: 0/0
    Aft: 0

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Infantry (Foot) (450)   1 Door    (90 Foot Infantry Bays, allowing for up to 2700 Guards/prisoners)
    Bay 2:  Cargo (1080.0 tons)     1 Door    (Bay 1/3 for G/P food supplies)
    Bay 3:  Cargo (1080.0 tons)     1 Door    (Bay 2/3 for G/P food supplies)
    Bay 4:  Cargo (1080.0 tons)     1 Door    (Bay 3/3 for G/P food supplies)
    Bay 5:  Cargo (70.0 tons)       1 Door    (Bay for the long-term personnel's food supplies)
    Bay 6:  Cargo (810.0 tons)       0 Doors    (to reflect each of the 18 arms having 45 tons allocated to on-site Life-Support storage)

Ammunition:
None

Dropship Capacity: 0
Grav Decks: 1 (100 m)
Escape Pods: 0
Life Boats: 110
Crew:  31 officers, 154 enlisted/non-rated, 2520 bay personnel

Notes: Equipped with
    1 MASH Equipment (10 theaters)
    1 MASH Equipment (5 theaters)
    1 SDS (Caspar) Drone Control System (to reflect the automation in use)
    2 Field Kitchen (for long-term Staff and any guests)
    19 Field Kitchen (for the short-term guards and prisoners)
20 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:     Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat) Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV      ERV    Class       
None

(Got the basic idea from another site talking about prison colonies, and one person having the idea to put prisoners in an environment where their bone and muscle strength will waste away over time.  From there, I wanted it to fit inside a Mule to make it easy to deliver.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Mule-transportable Prison station
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2022, 14:20:13 »
I like the idea when I was reading through it I thought they  could do a Behemoth version too since it stays in space

The Wheeler station work too but it spins at 1G so your zero g treatment wouldn't work 
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2022, 15:45:14 »
A scifi version of the Venetian Lead Chambers >:D
Nice  idea
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2022, 21:00:02 »
The problem with something like this is that it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment for the duration of most prison sentences.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2022, 21:49:59 »
The problem with something like this is that it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment for the duration of most prison sentences.

Maybe now, but people 1000+years in the future seem to have adapted to space flight/living, and it might not be considered cruel and unusual punishment then.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Ramblefire

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2022, 22:23:36 »
Maybe now, but people 1000+years in the future seem to have adapted to space flight/living, and it might not be considered cruel and unusual punishment then.
Or they could be Capellans, in which case "cruel and unusual" has been done away with as an ethical or legal term.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2022, 02:57:15 »
I like the idea when I was reading through it I thought they  could do a Behemoth version too since it stays in space

The Wheeler station work too but it spins at 1G so your zero g treatment wouldn't work

The Behemoth idea might work, but unless it can mount grav decks then the main staff can't stay in shape at 1G.  A Dropship might be able to deploy faster, though I'd want to remove one of the engines to ensure it can't go anywhere at a decent speed for Aerospace.  If the Behemoth engine can be reduced to only .1G Thrust that would be better, to make sure that if the prisoners escape they will 3* as long to get anywhere vs a Dropship capable of 1G Thrust.  A dropship variant might be cheaper and much more easily transportable than needing to assemble the station at the destination.

Now attaching a Dropship to the Guards' end of the station would be a good idea, as that way the guards can escape in case of a mega riot then turn the Dropship around and deal with the prisoners.  I'd want lots of cargo capacity on that Dropship, to reflect that the guards will also be leaving with the majority of the Life Support materials on board so a mega riot will end after 6 days unless the prisoners prefer long pork.  You'd need more people/automation to handle sending food from the Dropship to the 18 modules, because you really don't want to allow violent offenders into your escape Dropship.   ;)

The Wheeler did have the right idea about using lasers for anti-meteor defense.  Perhaps a couple satellites around the station and some Small Lasers in the Guard section would be a good idea?  This way the prisoners don't have access to heavy weapons in their section.

A scifi version of the Venetian Lead Chambers >:D
Nice  idea

These are the only reference I found about them:
Source_1 - small & dark cells that would frequently flood, meaning you have rats swimming in the water around you and your bucket for a toilet would overflow into the water (and that is just the first paragraph about them
Source_2 - the prison cells were located under the metal roof, so in winter they were extra cold and in summer they were extra hot

I started with the idea of putting prisoners into a zero-G station, then saw that the math worked better for 18 pods of 150 people each (Field Kitchen size), added moved 6 days of Life Support for each of the locations from the 3 main cargo bays to smaller bays on each of the pods, etc.

Very true.  The goal with these was to take the most physically violent offenders and reduce their physical danger.  They still have their mental faculties, though specially selected videos are played to help make them reconsider their purpose in life.  Depending on how BT handles bone and muscle loss in this situation, the convict guilty of multiple assaults that also likes to be violent with the guards might be sent up to this station, and after a year their STR & BOD ratings of 5 & 5 would be reduced to 3 & 3.  If they want to get violent again at the ground prison housing people that are 4 & 4, things will be a bit different.

Combine that with a special diet that includes all the necessary nutrients, but served in calorie-rich foods and the violent offenders will be very well-rounded too.

The prison construction company could be faulted for not providing exercise equipment, but its lawyers can point out that the individual cells are the perfect size for prisoners to perform various momentum exercises, and the sales people prefer to go to systems that have just had a violent prisoner riot where multiple guards were injured.

Rumors about the company bribing the underworld on the planet to start the riot are completely untrue.

If humanity has adapted (natural or otherwise) enough that Zero-G bone/muscle loss doesn't occur that quickly, then this station might not serve as much of a purpose.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2022, 08:26:36 »
I meant the piombi of source 2
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2022, 08:37:20 »
I think BattleTech medicine would counter bone and muscle loss otherwise the sea Foxes would having roving space cities they'd build B5 style space stations

For these prisoners they don't get enough medicines I'd assume they suffer like we would today

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2022, 19:23:40 »
Bone and Joint Reinforcement is a 10,000 C-Bill, 4S Trait Point advantage.  So not everybody gets that.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2022, 19:45:57 »
Bone and Joint Reinforcement is a 10,000 C-Bill, 4S Trait Point advantage.  So not everybody gets that.

Ouch I guess those ArcShips have lots of exercise bikes then

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 03 November 2022, 19:51:25 »
They better!  8)

Register