Register Register

Author Topic: Incursion in the Spokane Valley  (Read 2734 times)

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Incursion in the Spokane Valley
« on: 20 October 2013, 02:27:33 »
"Any receiving unit, this is Lt. Anderson of the 3rd [static] We have discovered a Word of Blake force in the [static and gunfire] near coordinates 47° N, 117° W. They appear to be setting up an unknown device [static and gunfire] we engaged [long burst of static] attempting to withdraw under heavy [static and gunfire] uesting immediate reinforcements, repeat to any receiving unit...[static]

The call was answered by a joint Combine/Clan force that had been in the area (I'll let the other participants fill in their respective units), the Combine force was 6 strong, the remnants of a company that had seen heavy action in the area already. The Clan star was fresh in the theater and lead the vanguard against the WoB forces.

The WoB had set up a WMD of unknown type to the defenders, they would need time to hold the site, identify it and deactivate it. In response to the I.S. forces that were moving on the device, two level II units from the 50th Shadow Division moved in to defend the site. They were charged with holding it until the I.S. forces were repulsed, or it became active.

Rules for the scenario:
Attackers: have more mechs within a 4 inch radius of the WMD than the defenders for 3 consecutive turns, or destroy all WoB forces to win.
Defenders: Prevent the WMD from being overrun for 15 turns, or destroy all attacking mechs to win.

Attacking forces:
Clan
Locust IIC
Shadow Cat II
Flamberge
Thor
Black Hawk

D.C.
Warhammer WHM-4L
Hatamoto-Chi THM-28T
Grand Dragon DRG-7K
Longbow LGB-12R
Jenner JR7K
Spider SDR-7K

Defending forces:
Mongoose Mon-86
Crab CRB-45
Griffin GRF-1N
Wolverine WVR-9M
Trebuchet TBT-8B
Raijin RJN101-A

Tempest TMP-36
Bombardier BMB-10D
Rifleman RFL-9T
Excalibur EXC-CS
Shootist ST-9C
Lancelot LNC25-06

Round 1 was spent getting units into position. The WMD was centrally located on the map, and both sides were rushing to prevent the other from meeting their objectives.

Round 2 saw quite a bit of firing and missing occur with 17 units opening fire. Four managed to hit including TSHawk's Longbow, which gave my Crab an intimate look at some LRMs. Another unit hit was my Tempest with a hail mary shot from the Thor, reminding the Tempest's pilot that just because a hill is there, you shouldn't always climb it...
Lastly, My Wolverine laid into the impatient Grand Dragon that moved up ahead of the rest of his squad and my Trebuchet hit the Spider because...well who doesn't try to squish a spider when you see it?

Round 3 Got down and dirty as TSHawk's Spider and Jenner both moved within the 4 inch radius, putting two of their units near the WMD vs my one unit, starting the 3 round count down. It also saw nearly every mech on the board firing at someone and quite a few hits landing, mostly on me.
TSHawk's Dragon laid into my Crab, peeling off more armor. His Longbow scraped up the Wolverine and his Hatamoto-Chi laid some serious hurt on my Mongoose, removing most of its armor with one good shot.
HeavyGun's Clan force stepped up to the plate next and poured a nice tall glass of pain for me to enjoy. His Locust IIc, an absolute beast when it's in short/medium range shredded the Bombardier's armor and his Shadow Cat stepped in afterwards to dig into some internals, scoring a critical weapons hit on the Bombardier very early in the game.
Then the Flamberge stepped up to bat. I'll just say that in baseball terms the Flamberge=Babe Ruth. I learned fear when that thing opened up on me, because it one-shotted my Trebuchet. One second, my Trebuchet was there and the next was a pair of smoking feet. In case you were wondering, this is what the Flamberge's AS card looks like:

7 points at short, 6 at medium without its OV value. This thing ate my Trebuchet alive and guaranteed that it was on my "KILL IT WITH FIRE" list

Finally my Mongoose tore into the Jenner, the Trebuchet's final blast dropped the Spider and my Excalibur managed to hit the Locust IIC, removing that frightening little beast from the field with a one shot of my own. My Griffin and Tempest both lit into the Grand Dragon, managing to remove it from the field of battle.

Round 4 Round three saw the first kills (RIP Trebuchet  :'( ) and round four made sure it wouldn't disappoint by serving up several more. 3 more units met their end, including my Crab and Tempest falling to TSHawk's Longbow and Warhammer respectively. His Jenner, surviving a shot in the back from the Mongoose in the previous round, went after my Bombardier and scored a critical hit on it's fire control. Now not only was it harder to hit something, but it didn't hit as hard. There's a weird synergy to that and I didn't like it.
HeavyGun's Blackhawk must have felt the clan equivalent of pity for the Bombardier, as he followed up with a shot that put the venerable design out of its misery. His Thor and the Flamberge (shudder) both lit into my Shootist removing all its armor and scoring a movement point crit in the process.
My Wolverine sent some pound-cake to TSHawk's Longbow and my Excalibur did the same thing for his Hatamoto-Chi, finally bloodying up both of those units. The Mongoose found his friend the Jenner again, and scored a critical weapon hit on the sturdy little guy. Finally, operation "KILL THE FLAMBERGE WITH FIRE" began with my Tempest landing a solid hit.

Round 5 Continued the slug fest with HeavyGun's forces stepping up. The Thor and Shadow Cat 2 both lit into my Rifleman and the Black Hawk put a fork in my Shootist and called him done. TSHawk finished the job on the Rifleman with his Warhammer and his Hatamoto-Chi burned armor off the previously untouched Excalibur.
My Mongoose, still streaking around sans armor, responded to all this foolishness by scoring a long-range hit on the Longbow. The Lancelot, Excalibur and Rifleman, not wanting to be outdone by a prissy little Mongoose, all ganged up on the Hatamoto-Chi. This combined effort stripped the Hatamoto of all its armor and scored a fire control hit internally.

Round 6 This would be our final round (I'll explain why in the message below this one). Notable incidents in this round was the death of my previously untouched Raijin to a crit caused by HeavyGun's Black Hawk. His Thor also scored a movement critical on my Excalibur, while my Griffin returned some of the attention back to the Thor scouring off a little bit of armor from the clan unit.  Lastly, the Flamberge went down in a hail of fire from the Lancelot, Excalibur and just about any other mech that could draw a bead on it.

At the end I had 77 points out of 180 left and the TSHawk/HeavyGun had approximately 126 out of nearly 200 points left, qualifying as a win for the attackers since we cut things off early.

« Last Edit: 21 October 2013, 23:55:56 by mhal9000 »
CDT Agent #693, Wichita, KS.

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Re: Incursion in the Spokane Valley
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2013, 18:27:08 »
So a few things about Sunday's game.
We started around 7:30 pm and quit at 11:30 pm. We did expect to be done much sooner than that but a few things stretched it out.

We had 23 mechs on the board at the start of the game,  it was TSHawk's first go with the A.S. rules and only the second time through for HeavyGun and myself; we're all still in learning mode but everyone had a blast.

Second, we were visiting for a good chunk of time with a couple of guys who recognized the game and stopped to talk. This is the major reason to play in public to be honest, it's about reconnecting with old players and introducing new ones to the game. These guys both seemed genuinely interested, I think for the next game I'll get an information sheet with some pertinent data (website addy, my email address, ect) to hand out while we're talking.

I'll post up some other photos from that game below. We're looking forward to scheduling another in early November so stay tuned.

« Last Edit: 21 October 2013, 23:45:52 by mhal9000 »

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2013, 20:17:33 »
It was fun and will get you those picks I took later tonight. Thank you for the game and looking forward to more adventures

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2013, 23:43:30 »
Win or lose it was a great time and good company, Thanks all. And mhal did get my flamberge after shooting at it with five mechs. That mech is a beast, who knew as I have never used it before.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2013, 23:46:47 »
Win or lose it was a great time and good company, Thanks all. And mhal did get my flamberge after shooting at it with five mechs. That mech is a beast, who knew as I have never used it before.

Heh, the way my dice hated on me that night I had to shoot at one mech that many times to score a hit!

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2013, 00:33:36 »
The dice gods were behaving more like loki and throwing us into Chaos...definitely can't wait till we meet up again!

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Register