Register Register

Author Topic: A 3025/Tech-1 level Alpha Strike rulebook.  (Read 887 times)

Weirdguy

• Sergeant
A 3025/Tech-1 level Alpha Strike rulebook.
« on: 17 June 2022, 10:37:26 »
I wouldn’t mind if I could get a hold of a stock 3025 (formerly called Tech-1 level) rulebook.  I find all of the clan invasion and Fed-Com civil war, and beyond tech doesn’t make the game better.  It actually detracts from ease of play. 

There is no set of rules for Alpha Strike that ditches all of that bloat and just has 3rd Succession War tech?   

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
Re: A 3025/Tech-1 level Alpha Strike rulebook.
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2022, 11:04:53 »
The rules are universal as the ranges are standardized and damage abstracted to a single value. just use succession wars mechs

poser765

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2022, 11:13:19 »
The rules are universal as the ranges are standardized and damage abstracted to a single value. just use succession wars mechs
one could probably just ignore most specials and be basically 3025 tech.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2022, 12:45:21 »
Yup. 3025 tech isn’t going to have many of the specials in the first place

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2022, 13:03:19 »
ENE, LRM, AC, IF, and SRM being the most common ones for 'Mechs, I believe.  Though, LRM, AC, and SRM probably wouldn't mean much, as only Inferno for SRM would actually have any effective meaning for the time frame.

One has to remember, Alpha Strike, and its BattleForce precursor, were created well after the Level designations were created, and so a "need" for such simple rules weren't as needed.

We may see something in the Alpha Strike box, but considering that it has Clan 'Mechs, I wouldn't hold my breath.  At best, most of the special rules will be limited to Clan Invasion variants, at most.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2022, 17:40:28 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2022, 13:08:53 »
Agreed.  AS is pretty stripped down, and if you use the current edition and choose level 1 tech, you'll be all set.  The rulebook is very simple as is, and perfectly suited for 3rd Succession War battles. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2022, 14:31:40 »
and to be honest, most of the specials are already fairly well intergrated into play in much less complexity than the standard BT rules. so you really aren't gaining much simplicity in not using them, and you are losing out on a lot of interesting gameplay

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2022, 14:44:13 »
The AS Quickstart Rules on the download page is pretty stripped down and basic. For example, it has rules covering only six 'Mech Special Abilities and three Formation types.

https://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

With that being said, I've found that frequency leads to familiarity and in turn that helps speed up game play  ;)

Also....I believe either nckestrel or sartris created some Special Ability reference sheets (???? looking for a link to share) that have greatly helped with the games I've been able to play :)

EDIT: FOUND IT and thanks to nckestrel

https://nckestrel.wordpress.com/2021/09/01/alpha-strike-movement-cost-table-for-hex-maps/

« Last Edit: 17 June 2022, 14:47:10 by MyndkryM »
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2022, 14:54:46 »

Agreed, Alpha Strike w/ Intro Mechs only is easy enough to do w/ the MUL.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo