Register Register

Author Topic: Alpha Strike Hexless BattleMat and Terrain  (Read 776 times)

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
Alpha Strike Hexless BattleMat and Terrain
« on: 26 November 2021, 02:00:07 »
A thread about using the Alpha Strike BattleMat in the General Forums, got me thinking about terrain options. More importantly, making a ready to play terrain kit.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/mappacks-battlemaps-without-hexes-for-as/msg1778540/#msg1778540

The AS BattleMat measures 34"x22". https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-battlemat-alpha-strike

If two players both own the mat, that can create a 34"x44" play area which seems to be enough for each side to field a company sized force (400-500PV). Noted in the other thread, four maps can create a 68"x44" play area which allows space for battalion sized forces (1200-1500PV). Since these maps are hexless and there's no elevation markings, it seems to be implied that terrain is to be used.

What's a good terrain kit to have on hand to set up a quick game at your FLGS? What do you think a good ratio of terrain to map area is?

The Scenario chapter in AS:CE talks about players taking turns placing equal terrain features while leaving sufficient space to maneuver and deploy. I'm thinking that 34"x22" play area can easily accommodate three terrain features; for example, one big hill, one little hill, one other.

Big Hill: A terrain feature that uses no more than 72"^2. of play area; 24"^2. of the terrain feature can be 4" high while the remaining area can be 2" high
Little Hill: A terrain feature that uses no more than 72"^2. of play area; 36"^2. of the terrain feature can be 2" high while the remaining area can be 1" high
Other: A terrain feature that uses no more than 72"^2. of play area; woods, level 0 water, rough are examples.

What are some of your experiences with selecting the terrain you use/create? Most of the LGS I've been to have terrain that can be used, but it seems more to be GW'centric urban items.

"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
Re: Alpha Strike Hexless BattleMat and Terrain
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2021, 16:36:59 »
I play on a 44"x60" battlefield.  I tend to have 8-10 features that are each roughly 6" diameter.  We try to vary whether the terrain is hills, rough, water, and/or woods.

My group hates the true LOS rules because it can so easily lead to arguments.  So we've come up with a modified set of "Precise LOS" rules for 2-dimensional terrain that works very well.

As for a good terrain kit, I can't really speak to that since I do use a lot of 2-dimensional stuff.

DevianID

• Lieutenant
Re: Alpha Strike Hexless BattleMat and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2021, 00:54:09 »
While the alpha strike hexless mats dont have the hexes, IMHO they still work best in a half scale.  Thus, instead of 24 inch medium range and 16 inch locust movement, it is 12 inches and 8 inches.  This allows you to use more of the mat, as otherwise you simply fly past the mat, and need 2-3 mats to play a normal game.

In a half scale, a single 34x22 map acts like a 68x44 map, which is a good size for most games--3 mats using the standard scale would only be 66x34.  My kitchen table nicely fits 1-2 mats, but 3 is rough.  I only have 40 inches across at the widest.