Register Register

Author Topic: Alpha Strike Physical Attacks and withdrawing  (Read 616 times)

vankarnogel1964

• Recruit
Alpha Strike Physical Attacks and withdrawing
« on: 12 November 2022, 20:03:47 »
I am not sure if this was posted on this site yet, but I have the following questions that I do not see clarified in the Alpha Strike Commander's Edition rulebook.
1. Can a mech that has not activated yet still move out of close combat (physical attack) of a battlearmor unit that just moved into base to base with it?
2. If the battlearmor unit (s) are conducting a physical attack on a mech, and if the mech moves away, do the battlearmor units stay attached, or are they left behind like a regular mech would be?
3. Can a mech with a melee weapon like Hatchetman or Axeman, use their Melee ability of +1 damage to attack a battlearmor unit conducting a physical attack on it, or are they only allowed to use their regular physical damage attack based on their size?
Thanks for any feedback on this.

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
Re: Alpha Strike Physical Attacks and withdrawing
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2022, 20:55:31 »
AntiMech is just the name of the special physical attack for Infantry units (including battle armor) that are trained to fight against targets bigger than themselves.  There's no attaching/swarming like there is in Classic; the models simply stand next to each other and perform their attacks, ending the combat turn exactly as they were left (barring destruction of either unit by turn's end)

1. Mechs (and vehicles) that have not activated yet may move out of close combat, but may not move through non-friendly units.  (usually just considered backing away)
2. any unit - infantry or mech or vehicle - that has already finished their movement do not follow/pursue units that back away; their turn has completed.
3. MEL units benefit from increased range (+1" , total 2" for close combat) and increased damage (Size +1) so there's no need to give up these benefits during a Physical Attack.  In Base 2 Base, there's only physical (Weapon Attacks are not allowed) so if the unit could move away (between 1" and 2") they could potentially still Melee, if desired, while denying an opponent their AM attack (they now get to use a Weapon Attack, so be mindful of the situation as it develops; lesser of 2 evils is a preference).
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

vankarnogel1964

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2022, 16:48:14 »
Thanks for the clarification. Regarding Question 2, it does seem odd that if a battlerarmor unit were to conduct a physical attack on a mech (ideally jump on to it and start ripping it apart, firing lasers into it) that the mech could not just walk away from them without them being attached, which means having to destroy the battlearmor to remove them. I understand that the game is trying to keep it simple, but I can always house rule it.
I found when playing against an opponent with battlearmor units, all I had to do was just keep moving away from them, and/or use enough firepower to destroy them anyway. 

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2022, 03:26:16 »
Thanks for the clarification. Regarding Question 2, it does seem odd that if a battlerarmor unit were to conduct a physical attack on a mech (ideally jump on to it and start ripping it apart, firing lasers into it) that the mech could not just walk away from them without them being attached, which means having to destroy the battlearmor to remove them. I understand that the game is trying to keep it simple, but I can always house rule it.
I found when playing against an opponent with battlearmor units, all I had to do was just keep moving away from them, and/or use enough firepower to destroy them anyway.

you need to have initiative or force choices if you want them to get off the anti-mech attacks. In theory the AS anti-mech attacks are leg attacks from classic, ripping into the legs, rather than the full on swarm attacks.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.