Register Register

Author Topic: Alphastrike and old scenario books  (Read 3590 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Alphastrike and old scenario books
« on: 05 July 2013, 14:34:58 »
how hard would it be to use Alphastrike/quickstrike with older scenario books, like Operation:Flashpoint? i'm really looking forwards to Alpha strike, and since i have a number of those older scenario books it seems like the simpler play method of Alpha strike would lend itself to the grander campaigns those scenario books would create.
the old scenario books seemed to call for fairly large forces, which are rather unwieldy in regular battletech.. but in Alphastrike, such forces should be easier to run.

however as i remember them, the scenarios often included special rules and such geared for battletech specifically. and the simplified repair/logistics rules in books like Op:flashpoint seem like they might need modification.

i've not played quickstrike, so i'm not sure how much change would be needed.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
Re: Alphastrike and old scenario books
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2013, 21:42:06 »
You should not have any problems except in possibly the most esoteric of scenarios.  I've been playing the scenarios for nearly a decade using what I call[ed] Turbotech* with few difficulties or even changes.  There will be some "winging" it, though:  if published-scenario units are damaged, for example, you'll have to use some common sense to port it over.  Many of the scenario special rules or restrictions are often related to initiative or set-up, though.  The older books often have roughed-up elements, though giving BF2-era* units a missing Armor Point or -1 Damage at a given range usually worked enough.

But you are right in that many of the scenario books (and especially the two Operation books and many of the Clan Invasion Era ones) could tend towards larger battles that were effectively unplayable in a reasonable sense.  The advent of Alphastrike should breathe new life into those old, lovely tomes.

*Basically BattleForce 2 ported over to individual elements with some very minimal changes
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2013, 20:47:50 »
So far I've been playing with scenarios from the First Strike! scenario book and there's not much needed to change.
Like it was addressed earlier, pre-existing damage will be tricky. If you want technically you can transfer the damage from Total Warfare up to Battleforce scale, but that's a lot of energy to put into this.
Stone wasn't cryo frozen. He just got stuck in a freezer Hans Moleman style and we felt bad about it. So we made up this lie.

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2013, 02:27:14 »
So far I've been playing with scenarios from the First Strike! scenario book and there's not much needed to change.
Like it was addressed earlier, pre-existing damage will be tricky. If you want technically you can transfer the damage from Total Warfare up to Battleforce scale, but that's a lot of energy to put into this.
Is it really that much work on a per-scenario basis? I don't recall the conversion being that difficult. It wasn't in BF2, I haven't played with the conversion enough in SO:BF to know, but it looked pretty similar.
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

Register