Register Register

Author Topic: AS Intro Set - How realistic  (Read 544 times)

Daritus1988

• Corporal
AS Intro Set - How realistic
« on: 02 January 2022, 13:06:05 »
We have two starter Sets and the Clan Invation (Expansion) Set for (Classic) Battletech.

I wonder how realistic a seperate Box for Alpha Strike with Intro rules would be.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 02 January 2022, 13:07:55 by Daritus1988 »

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • They pay me to make stuff now sometimes
    • Master Unit List
Re: AS Intro Set - How realistic
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2022, 13:10:55 »
If it has minis in it people will buy it

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2022, 15:50:31 »
All the boxes come with alpha strike cards and the intro rules are free on the internet. I think the boxes even direct you to them. Not sure what another box would accomplish other than raise questions from noobs like ‘Is this the same game?’ 

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2022, 23:43:18 »
I kinda wish a small "Alpha Strike Intro" rulebook had been included in the Clan Invasion boxed set, as it would have been easy enough to incorporate.
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2022, 14:54:11 »
 honestly unless Catalyst decides to do plastic vehicles, i can;t see an AS starter really being viable. the A game of Armored Combat set is $60 for 8 miniatures+maps and rules, and 8 mechs is pretty much the minimal force for a side to do a proper game of AS. and i don't think that people will be willing to shell out $120 for a starter set anymore. even if it did come with 16 mechs.

and that assumes the set would come with no terrain stuff. you can't really do mapsheets in AS, but you might be able to swing a set of papercraft buildings and forests. but that would add extra costs as well.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2022, 15:53:41 »
I don’t know… eight classic mechs, either different sculpts from what you’d get from the force packs or just amorous economical arrangement than buying the separate packs, plus rules, AS cards, a tape measurer, and some punch out forest terrain that just happens to be subdivided into hexes… it could work.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2022, 16:11:23 »
I don’t know… eight classic mechs, either different sculpts from what you’d get from the force packs or just amorous economical arrangement than buying the separate packs, plus rules, AS cards, a tape measurer, and some punch out forest terrain that just happens to be subdivided into hexes… it could work.

you are remembering that alpha strike uses 3D line of sight? the terrain can't be just "punch out", it has to have a vertical component. which means papercraft folding/slot based stuff made from stiff card, which is a lot more expensive to make.

and you can't really do a good game of AS using only 4 cheap units per side. "good" in this sense meaning "lasting long enough to enjoy and having tactical interest"
« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 16:13:45 by glitterboy2098 »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2022, 16:40:31 »
It’s all a function of compromise. Make it work for TW players, too, and it will sell better.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

butchbird

• Corporal
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2022, 22:01:15 »
In my region, battletech is available through only one store, which gives "points" for reviews on the website (very well made and through a showing of the available stocks enables one to track the general selling records while constantly checking for new forcepacks available). Here's a review for the battletech beginner box which I found vey...revealing (I'm translating):

"Very good value for the price but we did not get hooked by the game, the thematic is good but the rules feel ancient and complex to our taste. We did not keep it, unfortunate since for the price it's a very good boxset!"

This got me thinking...of course we would all want an extensive AS boxset with enough minis to make it interesting for the CBT players too...but maybe a TW/AS introductory boxset would be worthwhile. The AS ruleset is easier to get into for newplayers... especially considering the TT games on the market nowdays. An intro box set with both introductory rule sets for AS and CBT with enough cardboard counters for tanks, infantry and the like might be a winning product.

MyndkryM

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2022, 11:58:39 »
All the boxes come with alpha strike cards and the intro rules are free on the internet. I think the boxes even direct you to them. Not sure what another box would accomplish other than raise questions from noobs like ‘Is this the same game?’

CGL has made the barrier of entry to play Alpha Strike incredibly low, as Kerfuffin has correctly pointed out. I don't see an AS Intro box setting really addressing a problem.

If it has minis in it people will buy it

This is so true.

I would rather CGL spend it's resources in putting out new Force Packs (like the WD Assault Star) with AS cards (includes Clan Invasion and ilClan stats). I would love to see more products that cater to Alpha Strike (I'm looking at you Combat Manuals), but the Clan Invasion/KS releases and recent published works (ilClan and soon to be released Tamar Rising) show what the current "plan" is; CGL is releasing products that are usable across either rule set.
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2022, 19:37:31 »
The A Game of Armored Combat box needs a pamphlet describing what Alpha Strike is, how it differs from regular Battletech (esp. in terms of maps), what the provided cards are, where to download the quick start rules, and what book to buy for the full rules.  Otherwise it's too easy to just not find out that it exists.  Actually... make it more of a "here are three sets of rules that you can play with these minis, and maybe the maps, too" pamphlet and explain Destiny as well.

That should happen even if there's a separate Alpha Strike box, because getting AS cards in AGoAC is confusing.

I'm not really a fan of a separate Alpha Strike-branded box.  The other starter boxes are still really good for Alpha Strike players and an Alpha Strike box would be good for regular Battletech players, but newcomers wouldn't know that.  Just keep one brand per setting, imo. 

Daritus1988

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2022, 03:54:10 »
A printed pamphlet with the AS QSR and "What is AS" would be better.