Register Register

Author Topic: Augmented Warriors  (Read 404 times)

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Augmented Warriors
« on: 22 June 2022, 13:45:18 »
Our group is exploring the augmented warrior abilities for the WOB. The DNI augmentation seems to require the DN ability on the mech, however there seems to be only a handful of units that have the DN ability.

For example, in the Battletech Starterbook, Wolf and Blake, they include the pilot Berith piloting an Archangel. This mech has a small cockpit and according to lore, should have the neural network modification. But the Alpha Strike card does not include the DN ability.

Does a unit require the DN ability to take advantage of the DNI augmentation?

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Augmented Warriors
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2022, 13:51:26 »
Huh, interesting that they specify you need the DN ability. Never noticed that.

Going by the Classic interpretation, any 'Mech may be declared as being outfitted with a neural interface at no cost to Battle Value (though in a campaign or other C-Bills-restricted matchup, there will be a C-Bill cost and maintenance check associated). It's simply a small, tonnage-less, space-less, BV-less factor of the cockpit on that specific unit. Looking at the list of units with the DN ability, looks like it refers instead to the Interface Cockpit used by Machina Domini, which is related to VDNI and EI. However, VDNI, Buffered VDNI, Prototype VDNI, and EI should not require any specific abilities.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2022, 14:11:52 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2022, 13:26:33 »
What about using a Non C3i equipped unit with a C3I boosted Warrior? Be it Mech, Aero or Vehicle... Crew has the requirements, IE : C3i implants...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2022, 15:04:30 »
Any augmentations other than Machina Domini, EI, and the various forms of VDNI should be intrinsic to the pilot and crew, and thus should require no unit modification. The only requirement for (most) augmentations is that all of the crew members must be augmented to benefit.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2022, 15:15:23 »
As is, only C3i can maintain a chain of up to six units. My question is about using non dedicated C3i equipped units, whereas the crew of said units all have a C3i implanted. Would they function as if they represent a Level I of a Level II?

Not the Unit's C3i, just the Crew... Would they function as if the unit in question had it?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2022, 15:23:05 »
As is, only C3i can maintain a chain of up to six units. My question is about using non dedicated C3i equipped units, whereas the crew of said units all have a C3i implanted. Would they function as if they represent a Level I of a Level II?

Not the Unit's C3i, just the Crew... Would they function as if the unit in question had it?

TT
The crew confer the ability to the unit. Each crewman should not individually be considered a member of the network (though this may change at RPG scale), otherwise Tau Wraith squads would be pretty much worthless.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Register