Register Register

Author Topic: Balance Battle Support Points (BSP) against Points (PV)  (Read 905 times)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
Balance Battle Support Points (BSP) against Points (PV)
« on: 15 October 2020, 12:02:29 »
Is there a formal way (or best practice) to balance a force define by points (PV) and Battle Support Points (BSP) against an OpFor of just PV?  I want an even fight where the defender gets things like likes mines and artillery, while the attackers have only the units on hand.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
Re: Balance Battle Support Points (BSP) against Points (PV)
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2021, 14:33:50 »
I don't think there is a specific PV-based method.  But that's also probably because you'd have to convert their effects over to Alpha Strike as well.

What I might recommend, though, is at least try this for the Artillery Support:
  • Determine the type of artillery you want to use (Long Tom, Sniper, or Thumper)
  • Since a unit with the appropriate ARTX ability gets (damage x4) PV points, that could work as the PV "cost" for that particular type of

Same thing with minefields:  Light, Medium, & Heavy Density minefields as BSP correspond to minefield densities of 1, 2, & 3 each in Alpha Strike, & the MDS# ability gives 1 PV per #, so that could be the PV cost there.

Defensive Air Cover is pretty easy, I'd just leave it at 1 PV to purchase (but you have to have the right type of air cover).

Offensive Air Cover is going to be tricky.  The quick & dirty way I'd say is treat it like an Artillery Strike (Alpha Strike damage is 1 point per "damage grouping" listed by type), & the PV cost is the damage x2.

ACSMedic

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2021, 09:18:39 »
The new battle of Tukayyid campaign book pg 24 has support points at 20PV per BSP

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2021, 12:58:55 »
The new battle of Tukayyid campaign book pg 24 has support points at 20PV per BSP

Sweet!   Thanks!

waycoolsuperdude

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2021, 10:42:42 »
Not quite the same question but related topic.  The Battlefield Support Table: Combined Arms is made to be used with CBT games.  Has anyone converted this table over to AS?  Or am I missing something?  Asking for a friend...  ;)

FenderSaxbey

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2021, 12:03:42 »
Not quite the same question but related topic.  The Battlefield Support Table: Combined Arms is made to be used with CBT games.  Has anyone converted this table over to AS?  Or am I missing something?  Asking for a friend...  ;)
To me, the conventional BFS seems a bit of an odd fit for AS. Everything's already abstracted enough that wouldn't you just use regular units? The only issue with conversion I see is the damage at particular ranges. Since each unit does the same amount at each range, it shouldn't be too hard, though.

Register