Register Register

Author Topic: How to calculate TMM for a custom (proto)mech?  (Read 396 times)

EDG

• Sergeant
How to calculate TMM for a custom (proto)mech?
« on: 07 September 2022, 02:24:20 »
I was converting a custom Protomech to Alpha Strike using the rules in the AS Companion (guess it's not in the Commanders' Edition?) but I can't find anything that tells you how to calculate the TMM of the unit - it doesn't seem to be in the Conversion from Battletech section, and didn't see any specific mention of it in the Point Value Calculations section either.

Is it just the Defense Factor Modifier table on pg 140 maybe? If not, how do I calculate the TMM?

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
Re: How to calculate TMM for a custom (proto)mech?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2022, 02:48:24 »
You need the companion errata for that (and probably a few other things, especially if dealing with heat), but in short it's just the same as its maximum walking movement modifier over in CBT.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2022, 03:12:05 »
For regular mechs, protons, and industrials you can use mordel.net to double check your own calculations. It’s a very nice tool
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

EDG

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2022, 09:14:36 »
Oof, that's a lot of pretty major errata. I think I figured it out though.

My protomech doesn't fit into any of the defined Roles though, is that an issue? It has a move of 20" which is faster than that defined for any of the roles (Fast is "9 to 12 inches"). It may be a Scout or a Striker since it has 1 Armour and Short/Medium range if the Speed parameter was actually supposed to be "Move value of 9 or more inches"? I think Striker would probably fit better since its damage is 1/1/0 and it's a 9 ton protomech.

I'm not actually sure if it should have a 20" move - it has a CBT Walking move of 8 hexes (16" in AS) but it has a Myomer Booster as well - should that count as a MASC/Supercharger for the purposes of multiplying the AS ground-based move by 1.25? I assumed it did (to get 20").
« Last Edit: 07 September 2022, 09:31:50 by EDG »

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2022, 18:46:20 »
The MUL Online's custom card creator just asks for the Movement rate and then will put in the TMM for you.

You can also use Solaris SkunkWerks and their BattleForce tab will also provide that information.  The TMM won't be any different between a Battlemech and a Protomech, so you're good there.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2022, 09:47:28 »
If memory serves, isn't the TMM just the unit's Total Warfare TMM were it to walk in a straight line with all of its Walking/Cruising MPs?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2022, 10:00:02 »
If memory serves, isn't the TMM just the unit's Total Warfare TMM were it to walk in a straight line with all of its Walking/Cruising MPs?

Yes.  Whenever it reaches the threshold, it gets the higher TMM.
0” 0 TMM
6” 1 TMM
10” 2 TMM
14” 3 TMM
20” 4 TMM
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets