Register Register

Author Topic: C3i Combat Groups  (Read 789 times)

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
C3i Combat Groups
« on: 24 August 2020, 08:29:08 »
Hey guys, I've been playing around with C3i groups and seem to alwayd gimmick myself into a corner. Most of the units feel like they're overpriced for how useful they are. Usually I play 500PV stand up fights and there doesn't feel like many of the Comstar or Word C3i units I take are worth the points I put into them.

I'd like to hear what units you guys like taking with C3i and are staples of your forces if you like to play such things.

whistler

• Warrant Officer
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
Re: C3i Combat Groups
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2020, 16:54:36 »
C3 nets are pricey indeed, but can be veeerrrryyy worthwhile. For me it often comes down to the composition of the enemy and whether I'm attacking or defending. Of course you don't necessarily know those things before the game so it can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Considering how big a deal fast units are, especially ones diving into woods, improving your to-hits with C3 becomes a huge advantage. If I were fighting in a wooded area, or on offense against a prepared enemy, I'd rather have a full C3i net instead of, say, eight mechs but no network. Even if you have artillery for hitting the fast movers, C3 can still help you wolfpack an assault mech and knock it out in one turn.

The main things is that C3 nets are very front-loaded. While the network is intact it is very powerful. But when you start losing units (or you don't have any ECCM) shit starts to go downhill fast. That's when you start feeling the PV hit most.

So yes, C3 is limiting in terms of your PV. But 500 is plenty of points, especially if you incorporate some cheaper tanks (I think even BA) in place of some mechs. Just make sure you anchor a formation with at least one heavy hitter. If you can't set up an assault mech with a 3 or 4 point long (or 5 point medium) range shot every turn you're doing it wrong.
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Lboydmsw

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2020, 09:08:47 »
How is PV determined for C3 networks in Alpha Strike?  In BattleTech you add 5% BV to each unit for each unit in the network.  Do you do the same for Alpha Strike with PV or are C3 equipped mechs just more expensive in general?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2020, 09:28:59 »
cost for c3 is already included into the PV of the unit whether you activate the network or not

Lboydmsw

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2020, 10:31:16 »
cost for c3 is already included into the PV of the unit whether you activate the network or not

Thank you

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2020, 12:18:37 »
If you can afford it, it feels as if C3i networks greatly benefit from "guards" who can both provide better protection to the more spotter-oriented mechs, and also benefit from the distraction that a c3i network provides. Accompanying your C3i scouts with a fast powerhouse presents few good options for your opponent. Either they try to degrade your network and thus leave themselves open to being blasted apart conventionally, or they focus on your heavy hitters while effectively giving the C3i support free reign to pound them.

As a hypothetical setup, I think that 2-3 lances can make good use of a full C3i network.

-A force recon lance of 2 reasonably fast durable c3i units, and two fast brawler mechs.
-One fire support lance of long range snipers and missiles boats. Either give them all C3i, which gives you one lance, or use a 2-and-2 mix of C3i and "guards" for 2 lances.

If using 6-mech units, then the force recon lance can have 2 C3is and 4 brawlers, while the fire support lance can have 4 C3is and 2 guards.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2020, 19:44:11 »
I was told that I couldn't play with C3i units...

I had a 1300 PV game and ran WoB units in it. I assigned my 6 unit forces, but then I halved them with several other units.

Level II A, 6 mechs
Level II B, 6 mechs
Level II Choir, Tank and BA / Infantry

I ended up splitting A and B into 3 each to form two complete different base 6 units. Nothing said I couldn't do this.

But when battle ensured, I had gotten several hits from the first unit of 3, followed by the second forming up the rear.

3 Heavy hitters and 3 Long range to form a 6, with another group made up of same-ish. Form both Heavy hitters from two different groups into one was what caused the alarm and got me banned from using C3i.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2020, 12:27:59 »
The main things is that C3 nets are very front-loaded.

This is spot on.  Given the low peak damage of most C3i units, if you don't get a good focus fire and establish a clear lead in the opening turns then you are going to lose.   C3 nets can't trade and win.  I like playing C3, but I rarely feel like they are worth the cost when compared to spending the points on a higher pilot skills.   Fully using the network costs you a lot of flexibility.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2020, 14:02:51 »
Also, never forget that one of the advantages with C3 is also in Battlefield Intelligence..... even when the net isn't getting you bonuses, it should be helping your initiative.
Hence why a number of my non-C3 forces will take a lance of Swift Winds, or even a Mobile HQ ......

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."