Register Register

Author Topic: Charge and DFA attack vs standard physical attack  (Read 459 times)

zakumaru

• Recruit
Charge and DFA attack vs standard physical attack
« on: 18 October 2022, 12:40:12 »
Hi, just starting out with Alpha Strike and reading the rules of the 5th print it appears to me that both the Charge attack and DFA attack is most of the time not really much better than a standard physical attack as it's harder to pull off (+TN) and you will also receive damage from it. I am especially looking at heavier mechs (size 3 nd 4) with low TMM.
I suppose DFA might worth considering as it at least does 1 more damage than the charge attack and has a chance for an additional critical hit, but for the charge attack if your TMM is 1, say you have a BattleMaster, it does the same damage as a normal standard physical attack :-\

It seems these attacks only makes more sense for lighter and faster units like a Spider.

Is there something I have overlooked? Is there a case that one would opt to charge with a BattleMaster aside from tabletop glory?

Thanks

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Charge and DFA attack vs standard physical attack
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2022, 13:01:33 »
Charges do tend to favor fast mediums and lights, yeah. They're a decent, if highly situational way to essentially suicide bomb an enemy with a light in particular.

If you're performing a DFA, 9 times out of 10 it's just for style points.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2022, 15:41:22 »
9 times out of 10 it's just for style points. 

Lost all your weapons & really want to go out in a blaze of glory as everyone in range WILL target you mid jump.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2022, 16:36:13 »
Charges do tend to favor fast mediums and lights, yeah. They're a decent, if highly situational way to essentially suicide bomb an enemy with a light in particular.

If you're performing a DFA, 9 times out of 10 it's just for style points.

The other 1/10 is when you need to move the unit off its hex, or doing that will actually do more damage than you can otherwise do, like a King of the Hill scenario with a rather high peak:

(2 tiles per Level, by the way)
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2022, 16:59:00 »
In Alpha Stroke, there is no displacement.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2022, 17:03:05 »
In Alpha Stroke, there is no displacement.

True, I forgot that this was Alpha Strike.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem