Register Register

Author Topic: Death From Above Wargaming Campaign Rule Questions  (Read 197 times)

Captain Punka

• Sergeant
Death From Above Wargaming Campaign Rule Questions
« on: 25 November 2021, 00:38:06 »
The campaign rules from Death From Above Wargaming look great to me!  Upon reading them, I had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.  I hope it's appropriate to ask these questions on these forums.  If not, please feel free to delete my post.

1. It looks like their house rules and campaign rules do not make use of "alternate munitions".  Any insight as to why?  (Are alternate munitions considered unbalanced in tournament and campaign play?)

2. There is reference to them using a "best of 4" format to prevent the campaign from going on too long.  Can someone explain how this works?  Do they mean they play at most 4 missions and then declare a winner based on VP's?

3. The "drop declaratoins" combat section seems awkward to me making reference to "target number of units" and calculating mission PV.  I thought mission PV was already determined at the outset of the campaign, so I'm not sure why this wording is necessary.  And why would each player need to deploy the same number of troops?

4. New pilots can be purchased for 5 SP and are of skill 4 or worse.  Why would anyone choose the "or worse" option?  Would it make more sense to either just say all new pilots are skill 4 or have a sliding scale (e.g. Green (skill 5) pilots are 3 SP and Regular (skill 4) pilots are 5 SP)?

5. Forced Withdrawal - with the latest errata clarifying that a unit in Forced Withdrawal moves its full movement, is the DFA rule stating it only need move 1/2 their move a carryover from before this errata clarification?

6. Retreating - I find it interesting you can just declare a unit to retreat by making no attacks and then removing it in the end phase.  It seems like a unit should have to move off the battlefield through it's deployment zone.  Any insights as to why this rule (is it to speed up play)?

7. Mission Tie - It seems unsatisfying that in the event of a tie on a mission, you just make an initiative roll to see which track to head down.  Why not instead of having a "margin of victory" where players have equal objective points be a "draw", instead give a "marginal victory" to the player who eliminated more PV of units.  It could still count as 0 VP's for the campaign, but that player advances the track and chooses the next mission.

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
Re: Death From Above Wargaming Campaign Rule Questions
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2021, 16:46:09 »
Best place to reach us and the community is in the DFA section of the Everything BattleTech discord server, but I'll try to answer some of these as best I can (these rules were developed before my time).
  • We just never really used them
  • Meaning if a side wins 3 matches, they win the campaign essentially.
  • No idea on this one
  • Its basically a cap. You may need a worse pilot for BV reasons
  • Yep. House rule before clarification.
  • Probably speed. This has evolved in subsequent DFA campaign systems (AS, Destiny). As will all things, feel free to play it how you like best
  • Again, probably simplicity/speed. You can certainly determine the next track on ties however makes sense to you

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
Re: Death From Above Wargaming Campaign Rule Questions
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2021, 17:22:52 »
"Probably speed... Again, probably simplicity/speed."

The best answer for almost anything in Alpha Strike :).
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]