Register Register

Author Topic: Force building for dummies?  (Read 533 times)

Ben

• Corporal
  • Awwww Yeaa
Force building for dummies?
« on: 17 August 2021, 11:23:25 »
I’ve only played AS at GenCon where the forces have been supplied and balanced by the game runner (thanks Scotty!) I’ve found a couple of local players and were trying to setup a game this weekend. None of us are experts or have huge mini collections (basically various box set plastics).

My understanding is that PV is reasonably well balanced, especially for just a last man standing type of slug fest. Will “pick an era and a point value” get us a reasonably fun game at that point? Should there be any further limitations? I don’t think anyone will try to cheese their force on purpose, but any tips for newbies to make sure that “everyone has fun” (dice-gods willing)?

Thanks.

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
Re: Force building for dummies?
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2021, 12:58:55 »
good rule of thumb is pick a faction, pick an era, and build a force up to what your comfortable.

Usually it is a good idea to say "no unique units, no arty, no lams" when starting off.

there are forces in AS Commander edition that are premade between 450-500 point if youre looking for some forces to test the waters with.
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2021, 16:06:08 »
Which translates as "it is better to start with introductory and standard rules".
I would say that balanced forces that include a variety of units tend to be better, especially if you play escenarios where killing enemies is not necessarily what earns you victory points.

CJKeys

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Defend this house!
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2021, 22:06:26 »
Which translates as "it is better to start with introductory and standard rules".
I would say that balanced forces that include a variety of units tend to be better, especially if you play escenarios where killing enemies is not necessarily what earns you victory points.

Im not saying to just play with Mechs, one of the beauty parts of Alpha Strike is the ease of combined arms. As far as the three I mentioned, Unique units, Artillery, and LAMS, well, the second two add undue complexity for a new player, and the first is best used for specific scenarios when that character rolls out in their custom unit.
"Now sit down, shut up, and let us Davions do what we do best: kill people we think aren't free enough." - Reaver

Register