Register Register

Author Topic: force building question..  (Read 936 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
force building question..
« on: 15 July 2022, 22:48:49 »
ok so under the rules for formations, in the battle lance, it says in my copy of the AS companion* that "If the Battle Lance is a vehicle formation, these Size 3+ units must also be pairs of the same vehicle model.", with similar language for the variant types.

my question is, what exactly counts as a vehicle formation for the purposes of these rules?

for example, if i made a "battle lance" comstar LvII that was 4 mechs and 2 vehicles, would i have to use paired tanks, or could i use two different models of tanks?
i figured i'd ask here to see if there was already something covering this, before trying for an official answer in the rules question board.

*i don't have commander's edition yet.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2022, 22:50:26 by glitterboy2098 »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: force building question..
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2022, 09:35:09 »
Level IIs are typically combined formations with basically any unit type, but rules as written*, i'd say a Battle Level II with vehicles should have two pairs of heavy/size 3 vehicles regardless of the other two units. The vehicle pairs could be of different types, eg Manticores and LRM Carriers.
Whether this is the spirit of rules for ComStar/WoB, i'm not sure.

*using Campaign Operations but formation building rules are fundametally the same.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2022, 13:46:25 »
the battle lance must have two matched pairs of vehicles. if a battle level II using vees, you must have two identical pairs with the remaining two slots being completely player choice beyond making sure the minimum requirements for weight class and battlefield role are completely met.

if you want a comstar / wob formation that doesn't require vehicle pairs, make literally anything but a battle level II

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2022, 23:51:25 »
on on pairs.. would it have to be exact copies? or could variant of the same chassis apply? for example, could you pair a Vedette (standard) and a Vedette (LRM)? or a Bulldog (standard) and a Bulldog (AC)?

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2022, 09:52:19 »
On tables I've been playing on, we've interrupted that as same chassis. The most likely use case are C3M and C3S variants. We pretty much abide by "If both players agree then it's fair."
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2022, 17:57:25 »
Level IIs are typically combined formations with basically any unit type,
Point of order, but, the FM:C* wording implies that Pure L-IIs are more common than Mixed L-IIs

As to the OP question.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about it, but, does AS formations ever mention Mixed Units at all?
Now I'm wondering if a Mixed Lance won't qualify for formation abilities since it does seem to call out "a vehicle formation" specifically.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2022, 12:02:43 »
Agreed.

So if your going "Battle" then your going a minimum of 4 tanks.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register