Register Register

Author Topic: Forced Withdrawal under Morale Rules?  (Read 474 times)

Inspector2311

• Private
Forced Withdrawal under Morale Rules?
« on: 07 April 2021, 01:34:20 »
So according to the Morale Rules, Page 169 of the Commander's Edition, if you play with the optional Morale rules, then a unit isn't automatically in forced withdrawal when they suffer critical damage.  Instead, the unit makes a Morale check to see if it is Routed.  And if the unit is Regular experience and is a Battlemech, then it's TN is 2? (4 base, -2 for "is a Battlemech...," page 170)  And if they're Veteran or above, then you can't send them into forced withdrawal at all?

That doesn't seem like how this was intended to work... have I gotten this wrong?

bloof

• Recruit
Re: Forced Withdrawal under Morale Rules?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2021, 02:52:40 »
I agree. They make no sense. I would double the skill, so a skill 4 would have base 8, mech -2 = 6. Even then it is very easy to pass compared to the standard rule without morale.
I would change to Skill x2 + pips of structure damage. So if you have 3 pips damage, skill 4, and are in a Mech, you have to roll 9+ (4x2+3-2).
We just use the standard rules without morale.

Captain Punka

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2021, 10:51:46 »
I was also hoping to add morale into our games to make them more gritty and realistic, but the numbers just don't make sense.  Also, while infantry being hit by inferno ordnance makes sense to trigger a morale check, IMO it's a big stretch for this to trigger a morale check for a 'mech.  A mech can go swimming in a lake of magma and just take 1 extra heat per turn (p. 59), but if they get hit with an inferno SRM then they might flee in terror?

I'm a big fan of the structure of morale checks, but I think the inferno vs. mech trigger must be removed and you have discussed, the numbers must be reworked.  I like your double skill as the target suggestion.

Hopefully these rules are given an official errata.

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2021, 08:46:16 »
I'm routinely playing games with 20+ units on the board. The existing morale rules just make it too complex and cumbersome with that many units.

Instead, I used a modified "battlegroup" morale system. Pick a commander and use their skill and roll once when any of the following conditions are met:
Outnumbered +2
25% of your force is destroyed +2*
50% of your force is destroyed +4*
Commander off board or destroyed +2**
* Only apply the higher modifier
** Choose a new unit to act as the commander

Failure by 1 means your entire force must begin withdrawing. Fail by 2-3 and you offer a ceasefire and withdraw. Fail by 4+ and your entire force surrenders unless the opponent is also withdrawing. Unless you surrender, you can attempt to recover morale the following turn.

So skill 2 commander starts the battle outnumbered. No roll. He loses 2 of his 8 units; T# 6 and fails. The entire force needs to withdraw for 1 turn. The next turn the commander tries to recover and succeeds so the withdrawal is canceled until either the commander is killed or 50% of the force is killed.

This worked really well with variable damage rules as those tend to allow the units to survive a bit longer.

Register