Register Register

Author Topic: Jade Falcon Corridor Campaign -- Infantry Strike (Hollyfield AAR)  (Read 956 times)

Dissolv

• Corporal
Tonight we tried out quite a few things that were different.   First it was a break from mech on mech action, and a zoom in focus on a specific infantry engagement.   We also used the "Pilot die" special rule again, back by popular demand, and we tried out the initiative draw deck rather than use the somewhat clunky initiative rules in the core Alpha Strike book.

Although an infantry fight, we used Alpha Strike rules, with some minor modifications -- mainly the to hit modifiers and infantry critical charts being different.  The game itself had one single star of Elementals dispatched to silence a troublesome battery of weapons that were giving the omnimechs fits while they tried to pound the Inner Sphere mechs into the dirt.

(Note, this was intended to be tanks executing pop out attacks from the town, but I forgot the vehicle box and had to improvise!!!)

The Elementals entered the board with a bang, and the militia learned the hard way that Power Armor carries significantly better weaponry than standard slug throwers.  The closest strongpoint to the Falcon entry area did not last beyond initial contact.

Contact, militia strongpoint.  Fire one SRM!

With three fifths of the first contact militia squad down, it is up to the Fed Com Jump troops to delay the power armored monsters while the autocannons take their shots at the off-table clan mechs.

The Juggernauts of infantry warfare moved onto the board as the Inner Sphere guns sounded sharp retorts.  Quite a few early hits against the vastly more valuable omnimechs were being scored.   And they were defended by a sizable infantry force.

After crushing the first militia unit, the barely scratched Elementals started tangling with the Fed Com Jump Troopers.  This got more interesting, as the Jump Troopers could be quite hard to hit, and matched the Elementals in mobility.  They also learned from the first SRM attack not to bunch up while they tried to wear down the armor enjoyed by their Jade Falcon attackers.

We had so many people tonight that each Elemental was run by its own player!  Naturally we had a lot of different responses. One player hung back at first, while another took careful shots while moving down the board and zoning off potential incoming fire.  Two others went balls to the wall for the gun battery as soon as it hit the table, and one player spent his time smashing the defenders with successive hand to hand combats.

After the first gun battery was destroyed in hand to hand combat, the defenders massed their forces to concentrate all fire.  This was a bad idea, as they had apparently forgotten the first turn of the game already.

The poorly armored militia died in droves to the concussive blast effect.   There were actually several such shots where four or five defenders could be caught in an SRM blast radius, but most missed.  Despite the carnage, the Inner Sphere managed to down one Elemental, and he had been leading the charge down the board.    Someone else nailed the second gun on the next turn.   But that Elemental certainly paid the price for it, as he was surrounded and gunned down at an intersection by pretty much all available Inner Sphere defenders.   Around this time a lucky jump trooper somehow survived two hand to hand encounters with Elementals.  In one his Jump Trooper was injured and stunned, and the other he lost his jetpack.  No one was very keen on trying the improvised explosive devices, as they generated an automatic critical on yourself, but different players might go another way.

A surviving Elemental player took over as team leader, and managed to get a come from behind SRM shot against the furthest away target, even as his team knocked out the other gun.  The defenders kept the guns firing for 13 Alpha Strike damage points against the attacking omnimechs, but ultimately lost them to the Elementals.  In the end two Elementals were down, two were at 1 armor point, and the final one was in the best shape with three left --  out of 8.   I'm actually not really clear on who did better, victory condition wise.   Both sides did pretty well, especially considering that no one really knew what they were up against.

Overall, I thought the game went rather well, and was kind of the same (Alpha Strike rules) but also a lot different.  One of my biggest gripes about Battletech is they have this amazing universe with all kinds of stuff going on, but then people game a lance versus a lance ad nauseum.  The setting has a TON more to offer than that, and this is one way to do it while still keeping the core rules the same.

This scale lends itself well to a lot of scenarios.  Mech versus a bunch of infantry would be essentially playing out a close assault in micro scale.  I like the idea of playing out part of a larger battle where all kinds of random events might occur, such as random LRM strikes, or tanks entering, and then later exiting the board.  There are definitely also a ton of Battletech mechs and especially vehicles which are super vulnerable to infantry (Hetzer, Rommel) and would be far less intimidating than a modern vehicle in a close quarters setting.  The Hetzer has no anti-personnel weapon at all, while the Rommel gets a single small laser.  Great design there future guys!  But it does make them more interesting to game with, as they are no longer terribly dangerous to close up infantry, and must be properly screened.  I can do a lot with this scale game.

FinnMechWarrior189

• Recruit
Now this is an interesting modification for a single game scenario of a campaign...!

Especially when using 28mm scale models.
”Sauna Warrior Mercenaries, CHARGE!”
-nameless Captain of forgotten Mercenary group during Ronin Wars

Charistoph

• Captain
Do you have a write up on these changes?

If so, would you mind putting it down in Fan Design?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
I'm interested in seeing them as well. Looks like you upscaled somehow so that each trooper has a card?

jost_ellan

• Recruit
I was pointed to this after asking about Battletroops minis play, and would also like to know what mods to the Alpha Strike rules you used. Looks good!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
from the looks of things, the damage and attack stuff is just using platoon/squad sized infantry AS cards for individual figures. i'm guessing they had some mods to movement and terrain stuff though.

i do kinda wish that we'd get a successor to the battletroops stuff though. you could probably simplify and adapt some of the RPG stuff for the job. ideally too you'd do the rules up so you can adjust between say, 15mm and 28mm/32mm figures, since both scales are popular with scifi skirmish gamers. and ideally you'd want to tap into popular scales so players can use what they have without having to invest in a ton of new new figures.

jost_ellan

• Recruit
I think I'm going to tackle a hacking together of Battletroops and AS. Mulled it over last night. Not sure how 28mm would fare, given the ranges. But I have a few ideas for 28. Primarily 15mm though, i think would be the sweet spot. 6" is a good short range for a 15mm trooper, same with 24" and 42".

I'll post back my tinkering, maybe OP and I could compare notes someday.

Dissolv

• Corporal
Hey guys,

I totally missed these comments!  Sorry about that.  I can answer the questions/do the write up starting later tonight. It shouldn't be a problem.

The modification are actually not very great, but there are a couple that kind of make the whole thing go.  New critical tables, for instance, and many, many ways to get a critical roll other than just a hit in "structure".  The lower armored guys crit tables are downright lethal, while the Elementals enjoy an extremely limited set of bad results from taking a critical.  This is done to highlight the vulnerability of infantry in future combat, and it also really moves the game along, even by Alpha Strike standards.

More coming.

Dissolv

• Corporal
Okay, I added the rules here:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-designs-rules/infantry-strike!/

We have played a number of games of Infantry Strike, and they have been very popular.  This is the only AAR that I have written up on this forum, because I didn't realize there was interest.  It honestly plays very well.  Smooth and fast, just like Alpha Strike.  I use lots of critical hits (and a really rough set of new crit charts for infantry) as mentioned before. 

I also have given the units differing abilities to utilize cover, depending on their level of training, doctrine, and size. 
Defensive Infantry is what we think of as trained, regular infantry.  They are effectively the "lights" of the game, but unlike light mechs with very high TMM's, they achieve their difficulty to be hit mainly by being stationary.  Infantry loves cover.
Infantry without the "Defensive" trait is either poorly trained (militia, conscripts), or is a very aggressive force that is trained to always push forward.  Jump infantry, Solahma are examples of that type.  Power armor infantry I figured was simply too big to make the same use of terrain as a normal sized (and more flexible) trooper.  You still get a cover bonus, just not as much of one.  In many cases it is preferable to keep your 1 TMM and press forward with this type of infantry, and we have seen Solahma overrun positions held by much higher quality infantry. 

Most infantry AT weapons will do.......one.......point of damage against a normal Alpha Strike unit card.    However mechs and vehicles at this range are supremely easy to hit.  They don't get cover, and they are a -2 to hit large target.   We have so far had an on table Rifleman, Urbanmech, Scorpion (the tank), and we have had a Hetzer twice.  The infantry has to screen the tanks, or they will be destroyed.   I also use off board objectives and/or opponents for the armor, as they shouldn't only be concerned with such a tiny piece of real estate and a few squads of infantry.

Originally I was worried by adding mechs and armor to the infantry game, but it turned out to be pretty easy to tune.  The main trick was to tweak movement of the mechs and tanks (half seems fine) to simulate the cautious movement necessary around hostile infantry at close range.   However this is something I am still playing with.

Register