Register Register

Author Topic: Jump from water level 0  (Read 543 times)

JohnJohn2020

• Recruit
Jump from water level 0
« on: 27 August 2021, 06:22:23 »
Hi all,
are Mechs / Battle Armors allowed to jump out of water level 0 ?
thnks

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: Jump from water level 0
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2021, 17:36:53 »
I'd be interested in hearing an answer on this one also, given that apparently Level 0 water in TW has no MP costs associated with it (unless I'm reading something wrong, and also on the assumption that <1 or 2" is the same as Level 0). I'd guess that the answer is "you could" only because the reason IIRC for not being able to jump out of water is the water plugging the jump jets (the same reason you can't fire a missile underwater), and at that shallow depth that's a lot less likely to be a problem.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2021, 04:09:34 »
You may use all jump jets in classic boardgame BT that aren’t submerged. Since level 0 water can't even submerge leg-mounted jump jets it follows that it doesn’t affect jump movement.

I inquired once about whether lvl 0 water incurred the -1 MP penalty for entering water, fully expecting an official Yes. To my surprise, the official answer was No - lvl 0 water is effectively nonexistent under classic boardgame rules, except for a graphic on the map.
Which should mean you also get full damage from falling.

Not sure what that means for vehicles. Can ships move into lvl 0 water? Is it permissible for tracked or wheeled vehicles or standard infantry?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2021, 13:38:06 »
Not sure what that means for vehicles. Can ships move into lvl 0 water? Is it permissible for tracked or wheeled vehicles or standard infantry?

In (Classic) BattleTech, the terrain effects tables (p.52 in Total Warfare) list the units that can and can't move into certain terrain types. In my edition, Depth 0 Water represents streams or shallow pools, so naval vessels are prohibited, while all other units are not. Not sure how this is applied in Alpha Strike, though.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2021, 13:46:33 »
Recent errata change prohibted units in Depth 0" to allowing ground units and infantry and prohibiting naval units.
Even more recent errata (ie. not posted yet) allows jumping out of depth 0" water.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]

JohnJohn2020

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2021, 04:18:01 »
Thnks all, for the answers
JD

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2021, 14:01:44 »
My question would be then, what's the game effect OF level 0 water?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2021, 18:37:59 »
My question would be then, what's the game effect OF level 0 water?

Nothing, the point is its cosmetic.  There’s some water here, but it’s not enough to count for 30 feet tall war machines.

A river ford where even infantry can cross.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2021, 18:40:06 by nckestrel »
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2021, 00:22:43 »
Honestly a bit counter-intuitive, as many (all?) rules pertaining to water seem to be independent of depth. Why would rivers feature so prominently on many maps when they're not actually a terrain feature? Aren’t there even bridges across lvl 0 river hexes?

It may be worth explicitly mentioning in the rules that there is no such thing as Lvl 0  "water" and that it only counts as water if at least 1 level deep.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2021, 00:37:02 »
Depth 0 water hasn’t existed until recently.  It was invented for the most recent map sheets.
And the whole point of inventing it was to be able to add water to maps without requiring all the mess (and deadliness) of water rules.
This wasn’t created for Alpha Strike, and isn’t an Alpha Strike “interpretation”.  It’s what depth 0 water means in BattleTech.  It’s a small stream, puddle or ford thst infsntru and ground units are perfectly capable of using, but naval units can’t.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2021, 01:41:53 »
Depth 0 water hasn’t existed until recently.  It was invented for the most recent map sheets.
Did some digging.
Many older maps I have don’t denote rivers as having any specified depth, but that may be the prints circulated in Germany by FanPro. The US original maps in fact seem to always have labelled depth as at least lvl 1, save the River Delta #2 from Map Set 4.

Never noticed that discrepancy before.