Register Register

Author Topic: Looking for Company/Lance configurations for special abilities. Help Wanted  (Read 599 times)

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Hello All, 

I'm not a huge Alpha Strike player but I was going through some old BT Campaign info & was looking to set up some AS abilities for a few units.

My biggest question revolves around the lightest/fastest mech company & how best to shift abilities into AS.

Delta Company
1st Lance         CAVSTRK?   The movement bonuses allowing the 4MP mechs to keep up with the Wolverine & 2nd Lance?
  Skirmisher-Victor-9B
  Skirmisher-GrassHopper-5H
  Skirmisher-Wolverine-6M
  Brawler-Hatchetman-3F
2nd Lance      PROBE/SWEEP      Bloodstalker for gang fire on a single target?
  Skirmisher-ShadowHawk-2H
  Sniper-Griffin-1N
  Skirmisher-Trebuchet-5S
  MissileBoat-Dervish-6M         
3rd Lance     PURSUIT     Bloodstalker again
  Skirmisher-PhoenixHawk-1D
  Striker-Vulcan-5T
  Scout-Vulcan-2T
  Scout-Wasp-1A

This is the lightest company on average & it tends to operate as a raider & hit/run force.

Finally, I'm debating Battle or Cavalry on this 4th lance from a different unit.
Heavy Lance
  Skirmisher-Thunderbolt-5SE
  MissileBoat-Catapult-C1
  MissileBoat-Crusader-3L
  Skirmisher-Enforcer-4R
The other 2 Lances are a heavy FIRE lance & a light Pursuit if that matters.

I was trying to avoid going BATTLE lances for everything to give it some variety.

3rd question on a bit of a tangent.
Are there rules for assigning a role to custom mechs?
I know canon mechs have a pre-assigned role, but what about non-canon stuff.
For example, a barely salvageable Rifleman-3N was rebuilt with PPC/ML in the arms & extra Armor/HS.
Is there any way to call that a Brawler for example instead of a Sniper?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
3rd question on a bit of a tangent.
Are there rules for assigning a role to custom mechs?
I know canon mechs have a pre-assigned role, but what about non-canon stuff.
For example, a barely salvageable Rifleman-3N was rebuilt with PPC/ML in the arms & extra Armor/HS.
Is there any way to call that a Brawler for example instead of a Sniper?

The AS Companion has guidelines for assigning roles; the Rifleman's a bit too slow to be a brawler, which are supposed to be fast enough to keep up with the force's "line" units and favor close-to-medium range fighting.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2022, 18:23:03 by Richard S. »

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
The AS Companion has guidelines for assigning roles; the Rifleman's a bit too slow to be a brawler, which are supposed to be fast enough to keep up with the force's "line" units and favor close-to-medium range fighting.

I was just using that as an example, that said, the Warhammer-6D which was the "goal" of the customization is a Brawler at 4/6/0 so I'm betting its not too slow.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
ASC recommends 8-12" for Brawlers (4-6 hexes walking). Technically the most important thing is the mech's "intended" role, rather than whether it actually matches the required stats, but in practice I don't think there's any that violate them. Campaign Ops explains the roles sans requirements if you just want to assign them based on that.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
Thanks,
I'm curious what the requirements are so I'll work on finding AS Companion

Most of the unit is full canon RS designs.

That said a couple of them have enough customization that it makes me think the role would change.

The Rifleman mentioned above is one, another is a Cyclops-10Z (Juggernaut) that uses a Prototype-Gauss to basically become a Cyclops-11A (Sniper).

Do you have any thoughts on the 4 lances I listed & suggested formation types or alternates?

Charistoph

• Captain
Thanks,
I'm curious what the requirements are so I'll work on finding AS Companion

It's effectively out-of-print, which means eBay pricing is insane.  Getting the PDF version through the likes of DriveThruRPG might be the best option there.

For our Alpha Strike nights, we usually stick to Stock machines because of the lack of access to support for Alpha Strike PV pricing.  However, we do use Customs for some of our Campaign missions where the scenario isn't set up based on combined PV, and our force isn't set up for Formations, instead allowing for pilots to be individually focused as desired.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
Getting the PDF version ...  might be the best option there.

For our Alpha Strike nights, we usually stick to Stock machines because of the lack of access to support for Alpha Strike PV pricing. 

Thanks, yeah, PDF is what I'm thinking of. 
My book shelves are overflowing to the point that I've started to box them up in Totes, so I've decided deadtree is out for me going forward, at least till I have a bigger house :)

I don't plan on playing AS w/ customs, it was just a side project of looking at an old CBT campaign unit & thinking, "how would this convert to AS lances w/ abilities?"

A few of the mechs have some customization on them so that got me thinking about a new "Role" for them & if there were rules anywhere for how to set "Role" for a mech.

Charistoph

• Captain
Thanks, yeah, PDF is what I'm thinking of. 
My book shelves are overflowing to the point that I've started to box them up in Totes, so I've decided deadtree is out for me going forward, at least till I have a bigger house :)

I don't plan on playing AS w/ customs, it was just a side project of looking at an old CBT campaign unit & thinking, "how would this convert to AS lances w/ abilities?"

A few of the mechs have some customization on them so that got me thinking about a new "Role" for them & if there were rules anywhere for how to set "Role" for a mech.

Solaris SkunkWerks does do BattleForce Stats, which equate to Alpha Strike Stats.  But it doesn't do the Role or PV.

Mech Factory does do the Alpha Strike Cards with PV, but I don't remember if they do Roles for Customization.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem