Register Register

Author Topic: Mines and MDS ability in combat  (Read 346 times)

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Mines and MDS ability in combat
« on: 16 November 2020, 20:36:37 »
I was interested in using mine layers in my next game, but the rules on mines are unclear. Can a unit produce a minefield every round up to its MDS rating? Is it a one-time ability like bombs? Do we treat this like a bombing run?

I went to Total Warfare for some clarity, but that didn't help. Where's the best place to look for more info on mine layers?

Starbuck

• Sergeant
Re: Mines and MDS ability in combat
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2020, 11:25:56 »
there is no ammunition-tracking in AS. so a unit can deploy as many minefields as you want (well, only one per turn of course).

a unit with MDS1 can put down a density 1 minefield and stack it up to density 5 in the following four turns.
a unit with MDS2 can put down a density 2 minefield and stack it up to density 4 in the following turn.

rules are in pages 87 (MDS ability) and 168 (minefields) AS Commanders Edition.

And don't forget Thunder LRM (p 150 AS:CE)  :)
"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2020, 12:04:25 »
That's how we played it the first time through, but that seems OP, particularly when its an infantry unit. The problem is that it is based on CBT, and those rules say you can only deploy 2 minefields per MDS and you're out of ammo. So effectively, its like the BOMB ability - single use. Until I get an (semi)official ruling, we're treating them as bombs.

Starbuck

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2020, 12:22:06 »
it is AS not CBT. s rule in CBT says nothing about AS.

the special ability description for MDS# does not give you a limit or restriction - it does for BOMB# though.
so there is a difference.

but to be safe, go ahead and ask in the rules question forum.  ;)
"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

Register