Register Register

Author Topic: Edit: New to AS and have a heat and special abilities question  (Read 193 times)

DirtCheap

• Recruit
I just received the Commanders Ed. After reading and rereading it dawned on me that if the OV is 0, you cannot overheat for damage.  That makes sense.  Then I see the bit aboout deliberate overheating.  At first I was confused and read this bit a few times and the TW example. Still confused I could not figure out what the point would be.  But then I noticed that Under the "Using Overheat Value" rules it states you can apply 0 ov to a max of the units ov value. 

So I am guessing that deliberate overheat is for units with 0 ov value and that the next turn they can get to 1 on the heat scale and as long as they fire every round they are getting a bonus 1 damage per shot until they either get in water or stop firing?

The heat rules are written weird to me.  I have played BT in the past and Warmachine and Age of Sigmar more recently and I think the these RAW are convoluted and not explained well if you are not already versed in normal BT tabletop. 

The timing seems odd unless I am not reading it right.  If I overcook and keep my unit at 1 heat level, do I get 1 extra damage every turn thereafter as long as I keep firing? What if I fire and move into level 1 water?  Step 1 says to add any heat used this turn. Does this mean I am not maintaining level 1 heat but ADDING heat per turn as long as I fire? Or does this mean the heat level does not maintain level 1 even if I continue to fire turn after turn?

It seems confusing for 0ov mechs.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2021, 16:31:50 by DirtCheap »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: New to AS and have a heat question...
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2021, 23:34:15 »
Using voluntary overheat with an OV of zero does not get you any additional damage.  It exists as an option because there are some 'Mechs with the TSM special which requires overheating to use, and without it they would literally not be able to use their ability.  It also allows a unit that makes a physical attack with TSM keep their heat level up, because usually making a physical attack counts as not shooting, and automatically drops your heat to zero (which as stated above is bad).

In order to do more damage you must gain additional heat by using an OV of 1 or greater.  You deal extra damage equal to the heat you gain to a maximum of your OV number.  Standing in water reduces your total heat at the end of the turn, so it is basically a free point of damage per turn if you have an OV of 1 or greater, yes.

If you continue to fire turn after turn, you will not lose the gained heat, but you will not do additional damage either.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2021, 00:33:12 »
Scotty is correct.  "Voluntary OV" is for units with TSM so they can use their special ability on a constant basis.

DirtCheap

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2021, 00:36:14 »
What is TSM?  Also, why does it state you can choose 0 ov to unit max ov?  Why would a unit choose 0? 
« Last Edit: 12 October 2021, 00:40:34 by DirtCheap »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2021, 00:42:36 »
TSM is Triple-Strength Myomer, a special ability that gives a unit additional speed and melee damage when it gains heat.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

DirtCheap

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2021, 16:31:07 »
Thanks for the info, I think I got heat down after a couple games last night.  Cant believe how wrong I was trying to play it as written.  I have another quick question for anyone out there.

We played with the Atlas AS7-D http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/140/atlas-as7-d

First unit we played with with "Special Abilities".
I understand if he takes a normal shot in his front arc we use his normal damage according to range and whatnot.
But the special abilities field lists AC2/2-, IF1, LRM1/1/1, Rear1/1/-

After reading the book in combat and damage and special abilities I could not find what I was looking for.

I know it said somewhere you can only fire once.  Does that mean that if I fire the rear1/1/- weapon on my turn that is it or can I fire the other "special weapons" individually?

Example: I have a squad of Locusts flanking me, two are in front ark and one is in rear arc.   Can I hit the Locust in the rear with Rear1/1/- and one Locust in the front arc with the AC2/2/-.

Where does it talk about this in the rulebook?

Thanks.