Register Register

Author Topic: Optional rules for initiative?  (Read 637 times)

saab14

• Private
Optional rules for initiative?
« on: 04 September 2021, 06:45:51 »
The initiative rules for Battletech and Alpha Strike have always felt crude and not fit for purpose.

Are there any official alternative rules that I’ve missed? For example, 0 TMM units going first (alternating between players), then 1 TMM units, etc?

Charlie Tango

• Big Shoulders Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • Facing Nemesis
Re: Optional rules for initiative?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2021, 07:12:41 »

We often use a "playing card" initiative system where each AS lance or similar unit grouping is assigned a playing card, and then the cards either are shuffled for each side individually and then alternating sides move (card is turned over off the top of the stack for the side that lost initiative and that unit moves, then the card for the side that won initiative, repeat...)  or all the cards are shuffled together and as each card is turned, that unit moves.   The second one can lead to some wild swings of momentum in a game.
Catalyst Game Labs Demo Agent #310
MW Yuki Yamamori, WTH-1 Whitworth, 1st Striker Star, Alpha Trinary, Battle Corps Legion

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2021, 13:57:14 »
An official initiative card deck came out with the Kickstarter, so card initiative is now an official (if optional) rule.
I didn't get mine yet so can't comment further. Eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Holland

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2021, 14:20:35 »
An official initiative card deck came out with the Kickstarter, so card initiative is now an official (if optional) rule.
I didn't get mine yet so can't comment further. Eagerly awaiting its arrival.

What?  That sounds interesting - I can't find any information, do you have any more details or a link?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2021, 17:07:54 »
What?  That sounds interesting - I can't find any information, do you have any more details or a link?

They posted a KS update a while ago, maybe early this year or late last year, about it. It’s still around if you dig it up.

MyndkryM

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2021, 17:50:19 »
I seem to recall that. But the most recent updates have been pretty informative as to what has been completed and what still needs to be completed/delivered. I haven't seen a recent mention of these.
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2021, 02:47:27 »
I seem to recall that. But the most recent updates have been pretty informative as to what has been completed and what still needs to be completed/delivered. I haven't seen a recent mention of these.

Update 153 has all the info on it so far, until more people get their wave 2 stuff in.

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2021, 11:33:41 »
The only one I've seen is in our DFA Wargaming unboxing video, so if you got one, I think it should be in your wave 2 delivery.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2021, 11:50:15 »
The first time I saw "random unit activation" or card based initiative, I thought it was pretty brilliant. It took out the rather negative effect of a back loaded initiative and the widespread practice of waiting until you win initiative to make decisive actions. The two players just did their things and it worked it out.

I did notice that it made for rather tentative play. Rather than rushing to knife-fighting range, they shot alot more from longer range to try and gain an advantage. They were playing a map based campaign and would actually withdraw rather than fighting to the death. It was interesting to watch. It made games take a long time and they never finished the campaign.

I think initiative decks solve some problems for Btech and Alpha Strike, but create others. It does limit some strategies. It becomes tough to time attacks because you don't know if that flanker is going to go first, last or somewhere in-between.  You may have setup an opponent to take fire from 3 units and to get the coup de grace from the 4th but the 4th unit goes first. Now what?

In some ways, it is more realistic. You cannot precisely control when units do things in combat but it also takes away some of that timing that does happen in game and I would assume real-life conflict. You don't charge the enemy position before suppressive fire, then again people make mistakes all the time we cannot precisely control who does what when.

It makes these games a fair bit different in flow and changes your thinking. I am eagerly awaiting my KS shipment (with my Wave 1 and 2 items) I THINK I'm getting one of the decks. I'd like to try it out.