Register Register

Author Topic: Monthly maintenance costs  (Read 442 times)

saab14

• Recruit
Monthly maintenance costs
« on: 06 December 2020, 13:46:42 »
Hello,

I'm planning to run an Alpha Strike mercenary campaign spanning multiple contracts.

I've found excellent resources for running individual contracts (ie a series of scenarios) in AS:CE and ASC.

However, I haven't come across anything good yet that covers the costs of running a mercenary unit, including between individual contracts.

I am hoping there is some simplified set of rules out there, for example, that would give an easy way of costing out expenses.

Any thoughts?

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Re: Monthly maintenance costs
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2020, 13:53:01 »
I suspect that what you're trying to accomplish is more into the weeds than any Alpha Strike rules set was scoped-out to cover.

Really, the closest thing I can think of is the abstracted cost of going into individual campaign tracks using the Chaos Campaign system, but that generally glosses over time and resources to maintain and deploy units into a lump-sum cost.

I think what you might have to do is go back to the rules set in the classic BattleTech books for Campaign Operations I think it is that has maintenance and refit fees and the like listed.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2020, 00:02:05 »
If you are looking for that kind of info, Campaign Operations is where you want to go.  It has all the details you would be looking for.  Crackerb0x is correct, the Chaos Campaign system abstracts all of that.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2020, 18:23:11 »
  I had the same issues a few years ago switching my groups campaign over to Alpha Strike, but couldn't find a good official long-term campaign system for AS... Luckily there was a gentleman on the Battletech International FB group who wrote up a very well done fan-made Alpha Strike campaign system using a modified Warchest system. It deals with a simple but common sense system for unit reputation, getting contracts, downtime upkeep, and lots of other details, by converting WP (warchest points) and PV (Alpha Strike Points Value) into interchangeable SP (Supply Points). I think he made it using pieces from older Btech merc rulebooks and campaign systems, and we we love using it. It works really well.
  Its available on Scribd still under "Battletech Alpha Strike Campaign Rules" by Randal Snyder. Or if you are in that FB group, it's still in the Files section I believe.

saab14

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2020, 23:28:56 »
Thanks all. Major Headcase—I think I can cannibalize that into what I’m looking for, appreciate it.

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2020, 14:21:48 »
Check out the facebook group Battletech Alpha Strike International. The files section includes a fan-made campaign with contracts, maintenance costs, and other details.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BattletechInternationalAlphaStrike

Register