Register Register

Author Topic: Portrait version of Alpha Strike cards  (Read 1133 times)

zakumaru

• Recruit
Portrait version of Alpha Strike cards
« on: 18 October 2022, 20:31:49 »
Hi, so I've created my own portrait version of the Alpha Strike unit cards:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uInhYk68HgEuIWCKiPJB9azZBpsmvZB0AERUSoSlFIQ/edit?usp=sharing
which I like to share here with you all :)

Why I've created this, aside of being a fan of the old Battletech CCG (which I loosely use that as inspiration), was to have different data on the cards than what MUL would offer:
- I use hex maps so all ranges and movement are based on hexes instead of inches.
- For my own games, mechs with the Sniper or Missile Boat roles will be using Long-Range Targeting optional rules which are reflected on the card.
- Similar treatment for mechs with no long range attacks, these will be using Short-Range Targeting instead.
- I only use piloted units, so all units here have the SPAs from the corresponding pilot that come from the box sets. Some SPA like Range Master, Sniper and Speed Demon are also having their effects reflected on the card, which I find handy.
- For the purpose of flavour, I've added data on the card like the armament and the Alpha Strike compatible Design Quirks for that unit.- I've got rid of all the pips to leave more space for the artwork and also because I don't really like to write on the card nor use it like a mini record sheet. Wet erase markers are just not really my thing, I prefer to track damage and other things with counters and tokens instead, like with CCG / board games.

Hopefully this will add some value to some of you here. I probably will add some more units to this, but don't count on me to replicate the MUL and also don't post requests to me to add unit x,y,z. That being said, this is made with Google Sheets so you could just make a copy of this and add your own units or customize it as you see fit :thumbsup:

Have fun with it and please let me know if you have any good ideas or suggestions.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2022, 02:06:45 by zakumaru »

Ismar

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
Re: Portrait version of Alpha Strike cards
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2022, 14:40:20 »
Looks good.
Catalyst Demo Agent #227, Pittsburgh, PA
"Use the Force Harry"
 - Gandalf

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2022, 16:55:14 »
Very good looking, but lacks a place to record Crits and Damage.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

zakumaru

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2022, 08:07:12 »
Very good looking, but lacks a place to record Crits and Damage.

Thanks, and yeah I have left out the pips as my intention was to use these more like a card from a CCG game and rather than like a record sheet for book keeping. I think for heat and crits one can use things like the chits from this thread https://bg.battletech.com/forums/alpha-strike-101/alpha-strike-critical-chits/msg1286328/#msg1286328

For tracking damage I use my own tokens see example: https://ibb.co/j3cmSNP here I remove the tokens as the unit gets more damaged. But I can see that my setup might not be as accessible as simply using the markers to cross off the pips on the original cards, especially when playing with more units  would require a lot of tokens, I guess perhaps using a slider or damage dials would make more sense. ;D

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2022, 10:50:13 »
I like that it has the weapon loadout. That's a nice feature. But I agree with the previous poster that it needs space for damage tracking. Right now its a great reference sheet, but not a functional PLAYING sheet.

Really cool and great results.  :thumbsup:

zakumaru

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2023, 19:14:21 »
Thank you for your interest on this and yes it is indeed meant to be used as a sort of reference card with the Alpha Strike stats on it, and not so much a record / playing sheet. What I wanted was to have a version which I find more appealing, cleaner look and feel and some fluff like the weapons layout to help the narrative of what the unit was about. Because space is limited I had to make the decision whether I want to keep it like a record sheet or let it become more of a stats card like what you would typically have in a card game / board game. I ended up choosing the latter.

In any case, I have been experimenting a bit more and landed on extending the cards, so each card would have a “front” side and a “back” side, which you could also just leave it side by side if you prefer.On the “back” side there is a brief description of the units abilities and SPAs so you get a better idea of what each does, which I think could be handy.
See https://ibb.co/dLHcTF2 for a visual example

For now I have only done the Beginner box and GoAC starter box but will do the rest in time, see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaPCG3Had8a1z6UH0iCwqj03IOjUOShASiLOFUNdrL8/edit#gid=1210373381

Any feedback or comment are welcome  :)

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2023, 18:56:41 »
I really like the double-sided card. However, on the front, you have a lot of wasted space. You could easily shrink the area under Size, TMM, and Move and possibly include Armor and Structure in that same line. That might give you enough room to add damage dots or a space to mark damage with hash marks.

I would also consider moving the ability list to the bottom so the armor/damage is closer to the rest of the unit stats. If you get rid of the line that says "Specials & Equipment" and just combine it as "Notes" in the same field as the ability list, that saves you more room for damage tracking.

Lastly, you could possibly trim the picture slightly to get even more room.

Great effort and great work! Hope these suggestions help.

zakumaru

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2023, 21:16:37 »
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. It gave me some inspiration and I took my card layout back to the drawing board and tried some new things, the results are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t0Gdt0G4nySqQHJ3MxsvEMncQN-aTcT0ELIfsbTwtFo/edit#gid=280188557

Feel free to make a copy and adjust to your own needs.

I am quite happy with it and think I will stick to this one for the time being ;) That being said, suggestions are off course still welcome :)

Here are a few samples of the cards with the front and back side by side:

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2023, 22:13:51 »
Oooh, I like those

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2023, 01:55:24 »
These are very cool reference cards!