Register Register

Author Topic: Favorite Infantry/BA tactics and choices?  (Read 759 times)

Negatorxx

• Corporal
  • 44th Shadow Division
Favorite Infantry/BA tactics and choices?
« on: 23 February 2021, 19:31:19 »
Just looking for ways to improve my infantry employment.  So far, ive run an equal amount of 6 jump BA as other units and fanned them out across my front to guarantee i catch something.  I have yet to run the high damage short range BA on fast transports, but anticipate that alpha to be fun.

What are your favorite loadouts and deployment strats?
-Bringing Blake's Peace to megamek servers since 2009

http://www.mekwarslegends.com/Home_Page.html

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Favorite Infantry/BA tactics and choices?
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2021, 22:14:25 »
Just starting to use them myself, so still figuring them out and how best to use them.  After my last game, Gnome BA is my new favorite hidden unit ambusher.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2021, 09:22:29 »
Sticking Gnomes and Coronas to super fast mechs is a lot of fun. The Wulfen, Ion Sparrow, and Hierofalcon all come to mind as mechs with crazy JMPS TMM that make great BA transports.

I also like sticking things like Ironholds that have tons of mid range firepower into things like Bandits or Heavy Hover APCs. Omni hovers with IT4+ get to be double fun with putting an assault BA on the inside with high firepower while also having a heavy BA with high firepower hanging on and scooting around the board.

Marauder BA or Centaur BA with XMEC that can be carried on fast hovers too can be a lot of fun. Marauder BA + Savannah Masters is 27 points zipping around the board able to throw 3/3/0 around. That lack of any TMM on a dismount, though, definitely means that they're gonna be vulnerable. I like to play with the Wolfnet 350 format, which includes the optional rule of Non-Infantry Cover from the Commander's Edition, which goes a long way to diminishing that problem at the cost of making your own BA's shots harder.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2021, 15:07:09 »
I also like the APC/Assault BA combo. BA tough enough to take a hit (and, preferably, with decent medium-range damage) means they draw even more of their share of enemy fire due to combined annoyance and toughness.

When I'm not using APCs (either because if unit count constraints, or because I'm teaching the game and want to keep a battle simpler) I like quad BA for the extra speed -- especially Rottweilers with their 10" speed and TMM of 2. Honorable mention to Fenrir II LRM with their toughness and long range.

Register