Register Register

Author Topic: CNARC/SNARC Rules Clarification  (Read 560 times)

Inspector2311

• Private
CNARC/SNARC Rules Clarification
« on: 14 March 2021, 16:27:52 »
Can the bonus damage from a NARC be applied to the same attack in which the NARC beacon hits?

i.e. can a unit, in the same turn, attack, choose to resolve a hit with its NARC before resolving its weapon attack, and then resolve its weapon attack (with missiles) and apply the extra damage from the NARC to that weapon attack?  (Or does the unit that fires the NARC have to wait for the next turn to get the benefit of its NARC pod?)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: CNARC/SNARC Rules Clarification
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2021, 21:41:35 »
We've always played that the bonus does not take effect until the next turn.  If memory serves, that was the case for Total Warfare as well, so we ran with it.

Interested to here what the official answer is.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2021, 00:51:25 »
I've always read it such that the NARC is in effect the moment it hits. "The rest of the game" says to me "from that point on". Since the NARC is an additional attack, I think the firing unit gets to do its normal attack after if it chooses and benefits from the NARC.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2021, 13:57:41 »
"The rest of the game" says to me "from that point on"

this, yeah

BMM further clarifies on the classic end by saying: "In all following phases, any ’Mech attacking the target with Narc-equipped missiles (see p. 107) adds +2 to the result of their Cluster Hits Table roll."

Inspector2311

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2021, 16:05:08 »
I've always read it such that the NARC is in effect the moment it hits. "The rest of the game" says to me "from that point on".

Agreed, that wording does say the NARC effect would at least apply to subsequent attacks in the same turn.

Since the NARC is an additional attack, I think the firing unit gets to do its normal attack after if it chooses and benefits from the NARC.

Aye, but there's the rub: does the NARC attack in fact resolve before the normal attack?  That is the question, I think.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2021, 16:23:11 »
Narc is described as a separate attack so it happens when you want it to happen, much like TAG. Since it doesn’t say next turn, I presume it means immediately. AS’s rules engine descends from BattleForce 2 where one turn was equal to three in conventional rules. Their notions of timing are different.

If you’re really vexed by this you can ask for an official answer in the rules forum
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/alpha-strike/

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2021, 16:38:05 »
It affects attacks that turn. Next turn is an eternity in Alpha Strike.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]