Register Register

Author Topic: Vertical scale  (Read 469 times)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
Vertical scale
« on: 21 July 2022, 15:55:38 »
How high is a level 1 hill supposed to be? I have 2” insulation foam and want to make tiered hills. I can cut it in half if I wanted, or sand it down, but I’d prefer not to have to.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Vertical scale
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2022, 23:19:55 »
If memory serves, levels translate to inches in Alpha Strike.  A level 1 hill would be a 1" tall piece of terrain.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2022, 10:57:02 »
Levels are non-existent in Alpha Strike, but 1" is approximately the same. Elevation in the game's movement rules exist in 1" increments.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2022, 13:52:44 »
1".
A 'mech miniature is generally around 2".  If you want them to be able to have partial cover, you need to have 1" levels.  If you have 2" hills, they're going to have full cover.
Also, non-'Mechs can't climb 2" at a time, only 1".  So 2" hills would be insurmountable obstacles to most non-'Mechs.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2022, 14:50:40 »
Thanks everyone. I guess now to the hobby section to get ideas.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2022, 11:42:32 »
you could still use the 2" stuff, but generally you want 1" for elevation levels. You can use whatever you want, so long as you're consistent about it. But using 2" foam will give the minis much more cover than they should get.  Most of the larger big box hardware stores (Lowes/Home Depot, etc) will sell it in 1" sheets. If you're ordering it online, search for Dow Corning Foamular 250.  It's available in thicknesses from 1" to 4".