Register Register

Author Topic: Size Per Mech Recommendations.  (Read 996 times)

Leftovernoodles

• Corporal
Size Per Mech Recommendations.
« on: 30 September 2016, 16:40:29 »
In CBT I've found the rule of 4x Mechs per Mapsheet to be about right when it comes to the size of the playing area.  What's the moral equivalent in Alpha Strike?

MattK

• Recruit
Re: Size Per Mech Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2016, 17:08:59 »
I've run 24v24 on a 6"x4" table.  It was fun and felt like We could have crammed another lance or two on the other side or maybe some vehicles.  A big city board (like one using Dropzone Commander ruinscape) could probably soak up some miniatures - you could fit a bunch.

But, I think what it really comes down to is how many Mechs do you want each player to handle?
Then - how many players can fit on the board?  It is uncomfortable for more than 6 players to fit around a 4"x6" game table - you start bumping into each other and someone invariably smells. 

I am building a board now that will be 4x6 or 4x8" and will look like the Canyon Networks map from MechWarrior Online.  I am hoping I can get a couple of Mech Battalions lost in there and have them mix it up.  Would be really cool to try playing the blind play/ sensor rules in there.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Size Per Mech Recommendations.
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2016, 21:23:34 »
4' x 4' is the minimum size I'm comfortable playing a game on at all.  I'd probably run things of Lance or Company size on that size table.

4' x 6' is the 'default' size my group plays on, and typically play Companies (including reinforced) on.

4' x 8' is what we use for Battalion size games.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Register