Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Short Range targetting and Aero space fighters  (Read 1612 times)

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
(Answered) Short Range targetting and Aero space fighters
« on: 07 February 2014, 13:52:26 »
If I have my ground unit that is set for short range targetting do I still get the -1 when shooting at aero space fighters that are making an attack run on me if I am in the attack path?
« Last Edit: 10 February 2014, 10:43:15 by nckestrel »
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Short Range targetting and Aero space fighters
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2014, 10:42:59 »
Short Answer: Yes.

Note that in Alpha Strike, any unit attacking an aerospace that is within 2" of the aerospace unit's flight path is at Short range.  That replaced the Quick Strike "if you are attacked by an aerospace" rule.  Since Strike and Strafing attacks require the aerospace unit to attack a target within their flight path, this rule effectively includes the "if you are attacked by an aerospace" rule plus some.

So if you are attacked by an aero (with a Strike or Strafe), you are within the flight path and therefore when you attack back you are within 2" of the aerospace unit's flight path.   You are therefore at Short range, and instead of the standard +0 short range modifier, you use the Short-Range Targeting's adjust short range modifier of -1.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets