Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Alpha Strike Woods rules Advanced Options clarification  (Read 289 times)

bloof

• Recruit
Hi all,

Something confused me in the use of the errata, clarifications and the rules when it comes to the Optional (Advanced) Rules.

It has to do with the fact that using the optional advanced rules there doesn't seem to be a benefit for being "on the edge" of the Woods.

Rules: page 136: Woods (Advanced)
"In addition, advanced woods apply terrain modifiers for every 2 full inches of intervening or occupied terrain, ..."

Using Rules, Errata 5.01 and clarifications posted in this forum (e.g.: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/alpha-strike/asce-errata-4-1-and-blocking-woods/) this would be a summary for Woods:
1. the Attacker occupied terrain is IGNORED (i.e.: 2 inches away from attacker).
2. the Target occupied terrain extends 2 inches away from target and is only used for ATTACK MODIFIERS.
3. the terrain in-between these occupied terrains are INTERVENING terrain. Intervening terrain is used for both ATTACK MODIFIERS and LINE OF SIGHT.
4. Attacker occupied terrain takes precedence over Target occupied terrain: if both are in Woods and less than 2" apart, there is no attack modifier as the Attacker occupied terrain extends to the Target and the Target occupied terrain is therefore ignored.
5. In the basic rules, if the Target has any intervening terrain or is in occupied terrain, it gets a +1 attack modifier.
6. In the Optional Advanced rules, the modifier is +1 for every 2 full inches of intervening or occupied terrain.

So here are my three questions:
CASE 1: Attacker A is 5" from forest edge. Target B is inside Woods and 5" from edge.
- Total distance is 10"
- Intervening Woods is 3"
- Target occupied Woods is 2"
- Total 'intervening or occupied Woods' is 5"
=> In the basic rules, this would give a +1 target number modifier (target has intervening or occupied Woods).
=> In the optional advanced rules, there is 5.5" of Woods, which gives a +2 target number modifier (+1 for every 2 full inches).

CASE 2: Attacker A is 5" from forest edge. Target B is inside Woods and 1.5" from edge.
- Total distance is 6.5"
- Intervening Woods is 0"
- Target occupied Woods is 1.5"
- Total 'intervening or occupied Woods' is 1.5"
=> In the basic rules, this would give a +1 target number modifier as the Target is in occupied Woods.
=> In the optional advanced rules, there is 1.5" of Woods, which gives a +0 target number modifier.
Does that mean that in the Advanced Woods rules, a defender does not get any defense from being at the edge of a Woods terrain? The defender would need to be at least 2" inside the Woods to get a bonus.

CASE 3: Attacker A is 1" from forest edge. Target B is inside Woods and 0.5" from edge.
- Total distance is 1.5"
- THE ATTACKER OCCUPIED TERRAIN extends 2" from attacker, meaning that Target is within the 'Attacker Occupied Terrain', therefore there is no intervening or Target occupied terrain.
- Intervening Woods is 0"
- Target occupied Woods is 0"
- Total 'intervening or occupied Woods' is 0"
=> In the basic rules, this would give a +0 target number modifier as the Target is in occupied Woods.
=> In the optional advanced rules, there is 0" of Woods, which gives a +0 target number modifier.
Does that mean that in the Advanced Woods rules, a defender does not get any defense from being at the edge of a Woods terrain? The defender would need to be at least 2" inside the Woods to get a bonus.

Anyone can help out to make sure I understand this correctly?

« Last Edit: 30 June 2022, 15:52:14 by Xotl »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
Re: Alpha Strike Woods rules Adavanced Options clarification
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2022, 14:23:06 »
4. Attacker occupied terrain takes precedence over Target occupied terrain: if both are in Woods and less than 2" apart, there is no attack modifier as the Attacker occupied terrain extends to the Target and the Target occupied terrain is therefore ignored.
This is incorrect.  Attacker occupied takes precedence over intervening.  It has no effect on target occupied.
If the target occupies Woods, there is going to be a Woods modifier.

6. In the Optional Advanced rules, the modifier is +1 for every 2 full inches of intervening or occupied terrain.
This should be (every 2 full inches of intervening) or (occupied terrain).  Occupied woods gives the woods modifier + the woods modifier for every 2 full inches of intervening.

I don't have time to proofread/check everything you wrote here. Just noting the two notes above.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

bloof

• Recruit
Re: Alpha Strike Woods rules Adavanced Options clarification
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2022, 02:57:10 »
This is incorrect.  Attacker occupied takes precedence over intervening.  It has no effect on target occupied.
If the target occupies Woods, there is going to be a Woods modifier.

This should be (every 2 full inches of intervening) or (occupied terrain).  Occupied woods gives the woods modifier + the woods modifier for every 2 full inches of intervening.

I don't have time to proofread/check everything you wrote here. Just noting the two notes above.

Thank you for your answers. It makes my 'examples' irrelevant as I was making the wrong assumptions.
it has become a lot clearer now, thanks.