Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Attacker Occupied Woods (again)  (Read 493 times)

CapellanYouxia

• Recruit
(Answered) Attacker Occupied Woods (again)
« on: 11 August 2022, 23:12:17 »
Regarding the attacker being at the edge of woods (within 2") and whether or not they should have a penalty when shooting out we have previous postings

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/alpha-strike/asce-errata-4-1-and-blocking-woods/

and

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/alpha-strike/asce-errata-4-1-and-blocking-woods/msg1833481/#msg1833481

which of course refer to the rules on page 40 of the AS:CE
"If terrain is occupied by the unit, the first 2” of that terrain extending away from the base of the unit is still considered the occupied terrain. Occupied terrain more than 2” from the base of the unit becomes intervening terrain."

and on page 43 you got:
"Woods: Add a +1 modifier to an attack’s Target Number if the target occupies wooded terrain, or if the line of sight passes through intervening wooded terrain."

Easy right? If your target is occupying woods or if you (the attacker) have more than 2" of woods between you and them, when you are occupying the woods, you get that +1 under the standard rules. This would more or less also fall in line with using hex map rules for AS  (as far as I understand that, i.e. if you are in a wooded hex you can shoot out fine but enemies shooting back get that +1)

Well yes sounds good, BUT also on page 43 only three paragraphs above that "woods" section (under Terrain modifiers section) you got this:

"Terrain is intervening if the Line of Sight passes through it before reaching the target, and any terrain occupied
by the attacker
is considered intervening even if it does not pass through Line of Sight to the target "

Which seems to run counter to what has been errata'ed into on page 40.

Am I reading too much into this last sentence or is this some kind of oversight or am I still not understanding how this is supposed to work?
« Last Edit: 12 August 2022, 19:13:16 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
p43 was errated to match

Terrain Modifiers (p. 43)
1) ⑤ Second paragraph, second sentence
Terrain is intervening if the Line of Sight passes through it before reaching the target, and any terrain occupied by the
attacker is considered intervening even if it does not pass through Line of Sight to the target (see Line of Sight, p. 40).
Change to:
Terrain is intervening if the Line of Sight passes through it before reaching the target.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

CapellanYouxia

• Recruit
Re: (Answered) Attacker Occupied Woods (again)
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2022, 20:29:08 »
Well I feel dumb. I even looked through this errata and somehow saw the other two parts (the pg 40 stuff and the pg 43 "Woods" part that is right below that in the v5.01 errata, but not that part.
Well I can certainly see how it was previously confusing too. Thank you for your response.