Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Jumping Movement - is it exclusively one big jump? (ASCE)  (Read 490 times)

Inspector2311

• Sergeant
Can a unit use Jumping Movement (ASCE p. 37) to move, change direction, and then continue moving?

To wit, is Jumping Movement a series of "hops?" (in which case the answer is presumably, "yes")  Or is Jumping Movement supposed to only be one big "jump" (in which case, presumably, "no")

To apply this, can a unit use jumping movement to:

1) Move directly towards a target unit to scan it with PRB Demoralize it (ASCE p.93), and then spend the rest of its movement going 180 degrees back the other way, (to get out of the target unit's range)?
2) Move around a corner (that it would not be able to jump directly over, say, due to it being taller than the jumping movement can get over; i.e. Maximum Jump Height, ASCE p. 38), and continue moving after doing so?
3) Move up, dismount an infantry unit (per the Mechanized bonus ability, ASCE p. 121), and then move back away as per #1?
« Last Edit: 28 March 2022, 12:48:54 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
Re: Jumping Movement - is it exclusively one big jump?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2022, 06:22:28 »
Please include page references in rules questions.  Thanks.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

Inspector2311

• Sergeant
Re: Jumping Movement - is it exclusively one big jump? (ASCE)
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2022, 11:53:54 »
Ah, sorry.  I missed a few page references, there.  Edited to add them.  I also changed the first example because I couldn't find/confirm if PRB worked that way, but I could see that Demoralizer did.

Addendum: Honestly, the wording suggests that it is exclusively one big jump ("Jumping movement always follows the shortest path possible; the player simply chooses an end point..."; emphasis added), but this seems too limiting.  I heard somewhere (can't recall where) that Alpha Strike turns were supposed to be something like 30 seconds, in which time I would think a unit could "hop" more than just once.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
Re: Jumping Movement - is it exclusively one big jump? (ASCE)
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2022, 12:48:28 »
It's a single jump.  You don't get to pick a path, you don't get to pick multiple jump landing points.  You pick a target to jump to, and you just directly there.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets]

Inspector2311

• Sergeant
Thank you.