Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Multiple Attack Rolls and Heat  (Read 695 times)

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
(Answered) Multiple Attack Rolls and Heat
« on: 12 October 2022, 10:05:07 »
The rules for Multiple Attack Rolls from the Commander's Edition v5, page 175, are not very clear.

I am using a Dasher (Fire Moth) J that causes 2/2/0 damage and HT1/1/1.

At medium range would I roll three attacks and designate one as Heat or would I roll two attacks and designate one as Heat AND damage?

Second, can a heat-only attack cause a bonus critical hit? At long range, the Dasher only causes 1 HT but no damage. If it rolls 12, does it cause a bonus critical?
« Last Edit: 13 October 2022, 10:00:49 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Multiple Attack Rolls and Heat
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2022, 13:23:49 »
3) ... and provide page number references to any relevant section.

Thanks.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Re: Multiple Attack Rolls and Heat
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2022, 09:00:19 »
I updated the original message. Thanks!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
(Answered) (Errata pending) Re: Multiple Attack Rolls and Heat
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2022, 09:57:14 »
The rules for Multiple Attack Rolls from the Commander's Edition v5, page 175, are not very clear.

I am using a Dasher (Fire Moth) J that causes 2/2/0 damage and HT1/1/1.

At medium range would I roll three attacks and designate one as Heat or would I roll two attacks and designate one as Heat AND damage?
Roll two attacks and designate one as Heat and damage.  If there is more Heat than damage, then the excess Heat would be separate attack roll(s).

Second, can a heat-only attack cause a bonus critical hit? At long range, the Dasher only causes 1 HT but no damage. If it rolls 12, does it cause a bonus critical?
Only an attack that causes damage (not heat, TAGing, etc that does not cause damage).  Errata will be upcoming to clarify that.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Re: (Answered) Multiple Attack Rolls and Heat
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2022, 21:57:16 »
Excellent! Thank you!

Descronan

• Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2022, 16:06:26 »
So today, the same question came up with TSEMP. Would this be the ruling for all special attacks such as SNARC/INARC, TAG, TSEMP, etc? Or are these considered separate attacks as they are under standard damage rules?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2022, 18:58:06 »
Anything that is a separate attack remains so with multiple attack rolls.  Multiple attack rolls provides multiple attack rolls for each point of damage from an attack.  It’s still a single attack, and separate attacks are still separate attacks.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2022, 19:30:08 »
I'm not sure which printing you are looking at, but recent errata (first inserted in 4th printing) specifically states which attack rolls get abilities combined.
https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Alpha-Strike-Commanders-Edition-2022-09-14-v5.1.pdf
It's also in the errata document.
HT, FLK and special weapon attacks from AC, SRM and LRM are the only ones that get combined with damage attack rolls.

Register