Register Register

Author Topic: Dark Age Sub-Eras and the Hanseatic Crusade  (Read 423 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
Dark Age Sub-Eras and the Hanseatic Crusade
« on: 09 July 2021, 16:22:22 »
Elsewhere on the boards, it was noted that the era-specific material from Interstellar Operations is set to be split off into its own product, rather than being re-printed in its current form.

While no doubt the bulk of the focus in such a book would be to incorporate the various changes which have swept the Inner Sphere courtesy of Shattered Fortress, plus those set to do so in the likes of IlClan and Tamar Rising, I wanted to ask about how the data published in Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade could be accounted for in such a future volume.

In my most recent (2021 beta PDF) copy of IO, the Clan Post-Reaving Sub-Era of the Dark Age as detailed on pages 17, 30, and 31 group those Homeworld Clans left standing as of The Wars of Reaving Supplemental (the Cloud Cobras, Coyotes, Star Adders, and Stone Lions) together with the Escorpión Imperio and the Hanseatic League.

In light of the published data on the Hanseatic Crusade, however, I wanted to ask if it might be possible to split the Clan Homeworlds and the Deep Periphery into two separate Dark Age Sub-Eras in a future revision to these rules.

As in, a would-be "Deep Periphery Post-Reaving Era" would incorporate the respective technological advances within the Imperio and Hansa through to the Hanseatic Crusade; mark certain details of note (not least that Clan Goliath Scorpion's HPG network remains unaffected by whatever caused the Blackout, and that neither faction has had any recent contact with the Homeworld Clans at last reporting); and of course note how the Hanseatic Crusade itself led to the fall of the Hansa and the subsequent re-branding of the Imperio as the Scorpion Empire.

In short, the OTP:HC material places the Scorpions in somewhat of an odd position: not quite as isolated from the Inner Sphere and near Periphery as the Clan Homeworlds remain at present (at least, if reports of a recent Scorpion Seeker visit to Solaris VII are to be believed), yet not quite fully re-integrated into the broader BattleTech setting either. Would treating their home region as a place apart from the Homeworlds be a viable mans of accounting for this in a future revision of the Dark Age Sub-Era rules?
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 16:30:46 by Nerroth »

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Dark Age Sub-Eras and the Hanseatic Crusade
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2021, 16:31:21 »
These are essentially reprints, just split into smaller volumes.
While not a direct answer, it should cover many of the questions you've had recently.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2021, 13:19:53 »
Apologies if this was best posted elsewhere; but in light of the data provided by the Moving Forward story in Shrapnel #6, I wanted to revisit the topic of where the Scorpion Empire might best fit in terms of Dark Age - and now, IlClan - Sub-Eras.

As of Moving Forward, it's confirmed that the Empire continues to exist as of 3151, as well as that they maintain some form of long-distance contact with Clan Sea Fox and that, despite the various lags in communication time from the Inner Sphere to the nearest Scorpion-held system, they know enough to consider the prospect of having to deal with an ilClan - one way or another.

(I put these notes in spoilers, so as not to ruin things for anyone reading this who has yet to read Moving Forward for themselves.)

If added to the published (and soon-to-be-published) material surrounding the Hanseatic Crusade itself, I might argue that this only further bolsters the case for a stand-alone "alternate era" sub-division of Interstellar Operations splitting the Scorpion Empire from the post-Reaving Clan Homeworlds as separate and distinct Dark Age Sub-Eras - and, perhaps, if the new volume is set to add an IlClan Era writeup, to find means of accounting for Clan Goliath Scorpion as a factor in this new era also.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 13:22:35 by Nerroth »

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2021, 15:48:01 »
Could you please boil this down to a question?

If it’s just the same question as earlier, the response is unfortunately the same. The books are being reorganized, but they are essentially reprints.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech