Register Register

Author Topic: Wolf's Dragoons formation question (3139-3145)  (Read 1134 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Wolf's Dragoons formation question (3139-3145)
« on: 17 July 2022, 20:31:29 »
Hello,

This may be little confusing a question, so I apologize for not writing this out write more clearly.

I was re-reading the novel Redemption Rift and referring to Field Manual: 3145.

Wolf's Dragoons consists of what appears to be independent combined arms Strike Battalions and Alpha, Beta, & Gamma Regiments.  In the novel, the Spider's Web Battalion was doing training exercises the newly formed Wolfsbane battalion (p. 141-142).   Its noted that Gamma Regiment's commanding officer, Colonel Hack Kincaid, was noted having formed the Wolfsbane by pooling other Strike Battalions personnel and other staff from the Black Cat regiment (whatever unit they were, not in Field Manual in name, only in novel its mentioned.)

Question:  Are the Strike Battalions part of the Gamma Regiment?  Then Colonel Kincaid was one whom formed it.  What confusing is the novel does not mention battalions, but only companies consisting make up of the Regiment.  Wolf's Dragoons at the time were using hybrid of Inner Sphere & Clan formation designations. Points of Battle Armor with Companies of combined arms units with 5 mechs per company, 12 tanks etc.  Regular Regiments consist of usually 3-4 battalions.

I am trying figure out of the Wolfsbane battalion was part of the Gamma or any other regiment or it's was independent but still answered to Gamma's commanding officer, Kincaid since he assigned new commander to the Wolfsbane after Major Kenner was killed in acton.

Thanks,
Wrangler
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
Re: Wolf's Dragoons formation question (3139-3145)
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2022, 15:43:00 »
Not a developer, but I wrote Redemption Rift, so let's see what I can remember...

Note, IIRC, Rift pre-dates the Field Manual, and any TOE work I did for Rift would have been from extant Wizkids sources. Which were kind of a mess. And I was not involved in the Field Manual, so if it differs from Rift, that's just the progression of time, since I think Rift was set about 5 years earlier.

Hack Kincaid never commanded Gamma; if Rift says that, it's wrong. He was colonel in charge of all striker battalions.

I believe there was a Gamma Regiment, complete; an Alpha Regiment, which was primarily training and administrative, but which contained the Black Cats battalion (a Wizkids one-off mention, IIRC), which was not a striker battalion. I don't recall whether Beta existed then or not.

There were then, I think, three striker battalions at the end of Rift? The Spider's Web, the Tarantulas, the Wolfsbane. Separate units from the line regiment(s).

And yes, the strikers had odd TOEs because that was still in the days of Wizkids' conception of combat, when you had "armies" rather than formed lances and companies. So I leaned in and created an administrative "company" that would make a decent "army" on tabletop... I think.

I've slept since then.
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Wolf's Dragoons formation question (3139-3145)
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2022, 18:50:39 »
Not a developer, but I wrote Redemption Rift, so let's see what I can remember...

Note, IIRC, Rift pre-dates the Field Manual, and any TOE work I did for Rift would have been from extant Wizkids sources. Which were kind of a mess. And I was not involved in the Field Manual, so if it differs from Rift, that's just the progression of time, since I think Rift was set about 5 years earlier.

Hack Kincaid never commanded Gamma; if Rift says that, it's wrong. He was colonel in charge of all striker battalions.

I believe there was a Gamma Regiment, complete; an Alpha Regiment, which was primarily training and administrative, but which contained the Black Cats battalion (a Wizkids one-off mention, IIRC), which was not a striker battalion. I don't recall whether Beta existed then or not.

There were then, I think, three striker battalions at the end of Rift? The Spider's Web, the Tarantulas, the Wolfsbane. Separate units from the line regiment(s).

And yes, the strikers had odd TOEs because that was still in the days of Wizkids' conception of combat, when you had "armies" rather than formed lances and companies. So I leaned in and created an administrative "company" that would make a decent "army" on tabletop... I think.

I've slept since then.
Thank you for taking time answer my question, Jason.   I hadn't realized the book was that old that was effected by WizKid's messy record keeping which extended into your fine book.   I was trying help get history of the Battalion right, I guess it was independent battalion vs 3 battalions in one regiment. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki