Register Register

Author Topic: Accurate knowledge  (Read 658 times)

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
Accurate knowledge
« on: 15 March 2021, 08:43:27 »
Hello,

I want to know how accurate is the knowledge the people of the Battletech universe have regarding for instance technology.

Do they know that 3 medium Lasers make the same damage as one Gauss rifle
or
to destroy one ton of armor they need 16 LRM or 8 SRM or 1 PPC + 1  Medium Laser + 1 LRM etc

Every weapon etc has clearly defined values.
Yes, I know that new tech has this not. For instance the first Pulse lasers had regarding heat a +1D6. But those are exceptions.

So would the in-universe version of Battletech look like our Battletech or would it be like for instance Twilight 2000 V2.2 (an armor location of a T-80 had a value of HF:120-CP and the 120 mm APFSDS round of the M1A1 has a penetration of 110 and to get the final penetration you have to add 2D6 to the 110. And then comes the armor annotation CP into account. This can turn the 110 into a 55 or the 2D6 into a 1D6. )

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
Re: Accurate knowledge
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2021, 08:47:52 »
The game Battletech is an abstraction. In universe, no, 3 Medium Lasers do not deal the exact same damage as a Gauss Rifle. 3 Medium Lasers from 3 different manufacturers not even deal the same damage as each other.

You can see that best in the description of autocannons in the fiction. We have streams of bullets, big bullets ... there is a difference. But to make game play possible, we boil it down to one type of autocannon with the exact same range and damage for all the different types.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2021, 08:50:37 by DarkISI »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2021, 08:51:48 »
Also a good example: take a look at HBS' Battletech and all the different types of medium lasers they have in there. Ranges vary, damage varies, heat varies, accuracy varies ... Even though they are all Medium Lasers. But different manufacturers and different quality.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2021, 05:14:53 »
Thanks for your answer.
I dont play HBS Battletech (maybe sometime in the future), but if I play the boardgame then it does not matter which Medium Laser I use - if it is produced by the DC, LC, FS, CC, FWL, FRR etc - they all have the same value: Weight 1 ton, Heat 3 Damage 5.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2021, 05:35:18 »
Exactly. It is not important for the board game, since it is an abstraction. In universe, that's different. Not all Medium Lasers behave exactly the same. I simply mentioned the HBS game, because it showcases that in universe difference very well.

Register