Register Register

Author Topic: Status of Hammarr on Sudeten  (Read 285 times)

tassa_kay

• Captain
  • Blood cries for blood.
    • My Facebook page!
Status of Hammarr on Sudeten
« on: 05 January 2023, 13:42:03 »
I was reading Tamar Rising, and the fateful battle between Jiyi Chistu's Falcons and the Hell's Horses took place in the streets of the planetary capital city of Hammarr... but Malvina Hazen obliterated Hammarr by dropping a WarShip on it at the conclusion of the Rending, and she doesn't strike me that would rebuild a city that she specifically singled out for destruction. Was this a fact-checking error or something else?
My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah, 29th Blood Drinkers Cluster (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses)

Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Escorpion Imperio • Rasalhague Dominion • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Ki-linn Liao • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • The Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • The Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Status of Hammarr on Sudeten
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2023, 13:58:49 »
She did rebuild it - remaking it in her image.  She singled out the Jess leadership for destruction, but by rebuilding her capital over their graves, she cemented the fact that her will had obliterated and replace what had come before.

This was one of the reasons the Horses could be fooled by the holograms.  There was no existing city map to compare things to - everything was new construction, and the construction works left plenty of vacant lots where the holographic shooting blinds could be erected.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2023, 14:10:56 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

tassa_kay

• Captain
  • Blood cries for blood.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2023, 14:10:08 »
She did rebuild it - remaking it in her image.  She singled out the Jess leadership for destruction, but by rebuilding her capital over their graves, she cemented the fact that her will had obliterated and replace what had come before.

Out of curiosity, why would she single out the Jesses for destruction? They weren't more opposed to her than the Slips were during the Rending. I always found that sudden shift of "Jesse/Slips both support and decry Malvina for differing reasons" to "Slips supported Malvina, Jesses didn't" to be another odd fact-checking error.
My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah, 29th Blood Drinkers Cluster (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses)

Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Escorpion Imperio • Rasalhague Dominion • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Ki-linn Liao • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • The Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • The Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2023, 14:20:16 »
Out of curiosity, why would she single out the Jesses for destruction? They weren't more opposed to her than the Slips were during the Rending. I always found that sudden shift of "Jesse/Slips both support and decry Malvina for differing reasons" to "Slips supported Malvina, Jesses didn't" to be another odd fact-checking error.

Before her victory, the slips and jesses had more complicated internal politics, but Jana Pryde's power base was among the Jesses.  Thus, when Malvina pitted herself against Jana, she not only sought to destroy and supplant Jana, but to deal a blow to her power base.  Every Clanner likes a winner, so when Malvina won, the Slips abandoned their earlier criticism and went with a leader who seemed likely to let them go on the offensive as quickly as possible, with no restraints.  The Jesses were harder for Malvina to win over, given their conservativism and her huge chalcas actions in creating the Golden Ordrun, so those who refused to wear the black and kept their green uniforms would almost exclusively have been Jesses to begin with.

Though, to your point, yes there were Slips that opposed Malvina.  However, she ensured that they were at ground zero in Hammarr when the Emerald Talon engaged in destructive lithobraking.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2023, 14:23:26 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

tassa_kay

• Captain
  • Blood cries for blood.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2023, 14:23:01 »
Before her victory, the slips and jesses had more complicated internal politics, but Jana Pryde's power base was among the Jesses.  Thus, when Malvina pitted herself against Jana, she not only sought to destroy and supplant Jana, but to deal a blow to her power base.  Every Clanner likes a winner, so when Malvina won, the Slips abandoned their earlier criticism and went with a leader who seemed likely to let them go on the offensive as quickly as possible, with no restraints.  The Jesses were harder for Malvina to win over, given their conservativism and her huge chalcas actions in creating the Golden Ordrun, so those who refused to wear the black and kept their green uniforms would almost exclusively have been Jesses to begin with.

This is very, very helpful and definitely answers things to my satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to answer this!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2023, 14:29:23 »
Happy to assist.

Register