Register Register

Author Topic: Comstar Tukayyid-era unit insignia  (Read 735 times)

cmerwin

• Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
Comstar Tukayyid-era unit insignia
« on: 16 January 2022, 12:11:48 »
I've been pouring through Comstar, FM: Comstar, Tukayyid, and Battle of Tukayyid (revised) to try and recreate some of the units that were there as accurately as possible.

One of the major questions I have, and I assume Battle of Tukayyid, as the most recently published, supersedes many of the earlier sourcebooks has to do with individual unit insignia. I know a lot of the ComGuard units changed their names and unit insignia _after_ Tukayyid (as reflected in FM: Comstar), but I'm curious about specific ones from Tukayyid.

For example, does the Seventh Army V-iota unit insignia of the "Dark Wave" exist at that battle? Page 103 and 178 just show the shield with the Comstar logo on it, but the unit still has its same name, "Dark Wave", so it would stand to reason that they would have had, even then, the classic Dark Wave (which always makes me think of surfing) insignia?

Likewise, I'm curious why the decision was made to give the First through Sixth Armies the standard Comstar ceremonial white camo scheme, but give the 7th through 12th armies a modified camo? Seems like they would either all be white or all camo?

Thanks, in advance, for any insight!
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
Re: Comstar Tukayyid-era unit insignia
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2022, 12:49:12 »
I’ll try and get in to specifics later, but it looks like the majority of these the answer is that we couldn’t include all the insignias. So if it only shows the army insignia that does t mean the division doesn’t have e their own, it just means we couldn’t get to it.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]

cmerwin

• Sergeant
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2022, 15:12:42 »
Gotcha! Thanks so much for getting back to me. I noticed that the Marauder on page 173 uses the "contemporary" Dark Wave insignia, so it seems like at least some of the Armies were using their more individualized insignia.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2022, 19:43:59 »
There isn’t a definitive answer. The supposition is that insignias in the Field Manual came after Tukayyid. The artist of the Marauder didn’t get the memo.

ComStar uses all white or appropriate camo. So the paint scheme samples are just that, some are white, some are example of camouflage.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register