Register Register

Author Topic: Manta and Moray Manufacturers  (Read 2115 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Manta and Moray Manufacturers
« on: 30 March 2011, 07:33:24 »
I'm doing research on these two vehicles and had a question about their manufacturers.

First, is Royal Nelson Memorial Shipwrights of Portsmouth (builders of the Manta) principal factory located in Portsmouth Harbor?  It sounds like it should be since that's where Her Majesty's Naval Base Portsmouth is, including the historical dockyard that hosts HMS Victory, but I'm not quite sure.

Second, is Sungdong-STX a descendant of the modern Sungdong shipbuilding company in South Korea or a reference to it?

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Manta and Moray Manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2011, 23:10:27 »
I'm doing research on these two vehicles and had a question about their manufacturers.

First, is Royal Nelson Memorial Shipwrights of Portsmouth (builders of the Manta) principal factory located in Portsmouth Harbor?  It sounds like it should be since that's where Her Majesty's Naval Base Portsmouth is, including the historical dockyard that hosts HMS Victory, but I'm not quite sure.

Second, is Sungdong-STX a descendant of the modern Sungdong shipbuilding company in South Korea or a reference to it?

Not the level of detail we get to normally. Having written the entries and that they are fresh in my mind and I can say what the intent was.

1- Yes, Portsmouth is the intended home of this company. That is not to say this is their only shipyard.

2- The company reaches back several centuries and through many mergers. It's exact origin and name are lost somewhere in that shuffle. (In other words, we are not going to make any tie to a real life company.)
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Manta and Moray Manufacturers
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2011, 06:55:13 »
As far as Portsmouth goes, it seemed obvious but I thought I'd ask.  #2 is helpful to know.  Thanks.