Register Register

Author Topic: Menkalinan Retcon Retconned?  (Read 1478 times)

ShroudedSciuridae

• Master Sergeant
Menkalinan Retcon Retconned?
« on: 23 March 2022, 11:30:58 »
Menkalinan is a League/Confederation border world that has changed hands numerous times throughout the years. It also has a few fact-checking issues. I believe I provided any and all references.

NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1 (1988, pp. 82-85) states Menkalinan was a jointly owned and occupied world, with the elements of the 1st Free Worlds Guards surreptitiously inserted in November 3028 to take advantage of the Confederation's Fourth Succession War distraction in order to claim sole ownership, only for the Federated Suns to take the world in Wave Four.

Field Manual: Free Worlds League (1997, p. 44) appears to retcon this by stating "the Guard's Second Battalion invaded the Capellan-held planet of Menkalinan - at precisely the same time the planet came under attack from a Davion-employed mercenary group called the First Screaming Eagles" with no reference of joint ownership or garrisons.

However, the Handbook series (2004-2015) all contain "after Third Succession War (3025)" maps which have the League/Confederation border go directly through Menkalinan. This seems to suggest the joint ownership in the Atlas has returned. 

During the War for 3039, the League manages to take the world back as the 151st Light Horse were deployed against the Combine (Brush Wars p. 79; War of 3039 pp. 63 & 140).  But several sources (War of 3039 p. 140; 20 Year Update p. 24; Objective Raids p. 22) show the 151st returning "home" to Menkalinan after '39 and for a decade later. Era Report: 3052 shows the world as a League holding in 3050 (p. 11)

Was the world under joint ownership from ~3025-3029?
Did the 151st retake Menkaline after 3039?  If not, where did they go?
« Last Edit: 23 March 2022, 12:47:33 by ShroudedSciuridae »

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Menkalinan Retcon Retconned?
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2022, 11:28:10 »
Read joint ownership as ‘exchanged hands so often that ownership on any give day was questionable’ and that should do it. With the following being that the mess of who took it from and when is as much of a mess in-universe as the sources suggest.

TLDR: no definitive answer, and if you need one for your games, the GMs decision is the correct one.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

ShroudedSciuridae

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2022, 14:27:48 »
Dr. Randolph P. Checkers rolled his eyes as the young undergrad brought up Menkalinan, just like someone inevitably did every semester. "History isn't always neat and tidy, son. Even in the days when all of ComStar's stations worked there was still too much change to keep track of on that backwater world. I've read accounts that said the planetary government just kept every Great House's flag on hand, yes, even Kurita, so they could easily hoist the correct one up every morning.  Add in the destruction of records, and somethings will simply never be know. It's neither new nor unique in human history. You'd have better luck distinguishing between the events of the 112th and 113rd Battle of Verdun. It all kind of runs together, and in the end none of it matters."

Thanks for the reply, I'll take it!

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2022, 14:44:35 »
 :thumbsup:
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech