Register Register

Author Topic: Old Terrans  (Read 2063 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Old Terrans
« on: 17 March 2011, 15:35:35 »
So the Touring Terra section of JHS: Terra informs us that Terrans tend to live a long time, with roughly twice the average life expectancy of the rest of the inner sphere.

My question is how does this manifest? I assume a Terran is going to reach maturity at the same rate (no jokes about thirty year old teenagers for instance) but how should one expect for them to age after that? Do they suffer the detriments of old age at the same time as everybody else would and just hold on longer, or, for terrans, is 70 the new 30? Do they remain at their physical peak for longer before finally starting to show age around eighty or so?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Old Terrans
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2011, 16:25:22 »
So the Touring Terra section of JHS: Terra informs us that Terrans tend to live a long time, with roughly twice the average life expectancy of the rest of the inner sphere.

Per the Star League Sourcebook, the Inner Sphere-wide average was 120 years. That included long-lived planets like Terra and places like Annapolis, with 50-ish average life spans. Throw in the Succession Wars and the average plummets to just under 90 years, while Terra's average didn't alter much.

My question is how does this manifest? I assume a Terran is going to reach maturity at the same rate (no jokes about thirty year old teenagers for instance) but how should one expect for them to age after that?

As implied in the fluff of JHS:Terra, they exhibit about half the aging rate after maturity as modern humans - their 18 is our 18, but their 90 is our 45 (hence many Terran women delaying families until nearly their second century), and their 150 is our 75-90ish.

This is a result of numerous genetic "vaccines" and similar medicines used through the Terran Alliance and later, pre-Succession War cultures. The lingering effects are most pronounced on planets with matching medical knowledge (e.g., El Dorado and, presumably, New Avalon see an average of 120 years), which can help other aging-related problems like cardiac artery congestion - youthful skin and energy doesn't say much about arterial plaque, as Hanse Davion could tell you, while Natasha Kerensky was clearly in good shape into her 70s. With less advanced medicine and less access to medical care for most Inner Sphere planets, the Inner Sphere average is dragged down to early Terran Alliance levels (89.5, was it?) and some are positively abysmal for lack of basic medicines (e.g., Annapolis, where the peasants rarely see 60).

At least, that's what I intended when I wrote about that.

This has no rules backing as of yet, so any RPG aging rules take precedence.

Do they suffer the detriments of old age at the same time as everybody else would and just hold on longer, or, for terrans, is 70 the new 30?

New 30-40-ish, anyway.

Do they remain at their physical peak for longer before finally starting to show age around eighty or so?

Such was my intent. Whether Herb and the aging rules agree is another matter.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2011, 06:03:28 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Old Terrans
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2011, 00:00:48 »
I can work with that. Thanks.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!