Register Register

Author Topic: Retaking a Blooding Trial  (Read 224 times)

wildkadabra

• Corporal
Retaking a Blooding Trial
« on: 01 August 2021, 14:38:48 »
Hi! I am currently wondering during a cadets Blooding Trial, usually failure to obtain a kill means that the cadet washes out into a lower caste. Some clans may allow to re-trial for another military class or lower quality unit.

I was wondering if there were however any circumstances or exceptions in which a warrior may be allowed to fully retake the exam without any penalties. Special situations such as a fault in his mech being discovered that hindered its performance and lead to an unfair trial. Or his mech being disabled by a hit that was deemed a lucky shot and against which no amount of skill would have served as protection (in game a single lbx-2 pellet resulting in an ammo TAC destroying the mech's side torso at the beginning of the duel for example). Or any other situation that could potentially be considered unfair or an unsuitable evaluation of the pilot's proper skill.

I would imagine this could also potentially vary from clan to clan, Steel Vipers would probably not care and if you fail you fail even if your mech fell to pieces on its own the moment it stepped a foot out of the hangar, while other clans like perhaps the FoxSharks may be more lenient if such a thing is even possible.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Retaking a Blooding Trial
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2021, 16:52:04 »
I am currently wondering during a cadets Blooding Trial, usually failure to obtain a kill means that the cadet washes out into a lower caste. Some clans may allow to re-trial for another military class or lower quality unit.

I think you mean the first Trial of Position? The Blooding is an award bestowed by the Blood Spirits under certain circumstances, it's not a Trial itself.

I was wondering if there were however any circumstances or exceptions in which a warrior may be allowed to fully retake the exam without any penalties.

Not many. Maybe if an opponent cheated somehow, a concept that would be rather alien to most trueborn. After all, the point is showing off how good you are, cheating is counterproductive.
Even then, you'd have to prove it conclusively.
Which will be hard to do, since you're probably on your way to a lower Caste.

Special situations such as a fault in his mech being discovered that hindered its performance and lead to an unfair trial.

Wouldn't be considered adequate reason. Equipment fails, such is the nature of combat. If you were good enough, you would have overcome this.
Your description is of a minor failure. If the 'Mech wouldn't start up because its fusion engine was broken, the Trial wouldn't occur until a replacement machine was deployed.

Or his mech being disabled by a hit that was deemed a lucky shot and against which no amount of skill would have served as protection (in game a single lbx-2 pellet resulting in an ammo TAC destroying the mech's side torso at the beginning of the duel for example).

That wouldn't be a reason under any circumstance whatsoever. You got felled by enemy weapons fire. "Lucky shot!" is the kind of loser complaint probably uttered by someone who has washed out to a lower Caste because they weren't good enough.

Or any other situation that could potentially be considered unfair or an unsuitable evaluation of the pilot's proper skill.

Not impossible, though your two examples don't qualify. Very few examples would.

while other clans like perhaps the FoxSharks may be more lenient if such a thing is even possible.

I think you're ascribing too much leniency to the Foxes there.

wildkadabra

• Corporal
Re: Retaking a Blooding Trial
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2021, 16:56:49 »
Thank you for the answer!

Register