Register Register

Author Topic: TRO 3057 stats: Still valid or an outdated source?  (Read 374 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
TRO 3057 stats: Still valid or an outdated source?
« on: 22 September 2022, 16:15:11 »
Are the stats in TRO 3057 revised still considered valid (with the exception of any errors or changes between construction systems since the book's publishing).

As a related question, in cases where a ship is carrying equipment that is not available until after its stated point in service, should we assume that those stats represent a later upgrade of that ship and not the original model?

For example, the Vigilant class corvette has an introductory date of 2320, but uses standard armor as well as AC-10s, neither of which, according to Interstellar Operations, were available in 2320. A lot of Star League and Age of War era WarShips are in a similar boat, mostly due to their chosen armor type not being available at the date of their introduction.

This even extends to WarShips created later in other sources such as Reunification War and the 2765 Field Report series for much the same reason.

I won't be so gauch as to demand stats for these updated versions, but it would help sort out the continuity a bit if we knew whether or not the existing stats represent the original designs and may eventually need to be retconned.

(though if you do need a volunteer to do the stat crunching for you... I have considerable amounts of free time...)

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: TRO 3057 stats: Still valid or an outdated source?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2022, 16:27:36 »
Short answer: It's valid except where it's wrong.

Longer answer: When something is directly contradicted by a later sourcebook, like IO, then almost certainly it's 3057 that would, if it ever got redone, change. But that's a guide, not a rule.  There are always exceptions, errors, overrides and other wackiness.  Any source that old doesnt have errated tracked, so there's no simple answer.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: TRO 3057 stats: Still valid or an outdated source?
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2022, 00:31:58 »
Well as a follow-up, we do have some newer warship sources such as the 2765 field reports, various turning points books, and the free download of alpha strike record sheets for large craft.

Should these be considered accurate, at least for the era in which they are set? For example, would the record sheets in a field report be considered accurate for ships at that particular time period? Like the record sheet for, say... the Narukami block I class destroyer being accurate for specifically the end of the Star League era?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!